Using phpBB4 dev on a live board

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 4.x branch of phpBB. The next feature release of phpBB 4 will be 4.0/Triton.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 4.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Random American

Using phpBB4 dev on a live board

Post by Random American »

Obviously no one here should recommend using the phpBB4 development version on a live board that someone really cares about, but I'm just wondering how unstable you guys think the current development version is. Just curious as there were people were effectively demanding its release on the main site.
Last edited by Random American on Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stand with Ukraine!

Meis2M

Re: Using phpBB4 beta on a live board

Post by Meis2M »

if you see now phpbb 4.dev , in the first time you think it is phpBB 3.3, because there is not any new theme yet. i think it is better wait ...

david63

Post by david63 »

I didn't know that phpBB4 was even at beta yet - I thought it was still at dev
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

3Di

Post by 3Di »

Meis2M wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:04 pm if you see now phpbb 4.dev , in the first time you think it is phpBB 3.3, because there is not any new theme yet. i think it is better wait ...
I highly doubt that a new style will make phpBB4 any better if not just aesthetically, what's behind the curtain is what matters and you still don't seem to get it. :)

Wait for what? :?
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

3Di

Post by 3Di »

david63 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:57 pm I didn't know that phpBB4 was even at beta yet - I thought it was still at dev
Yup - alpha-1-dev
Attachments
2021-12-19 06_26_42-ACP index — Mozilla Firefox.png
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

Random American

Re: Using phpBB4 dev on a live board

david63 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:57 pm I didn't know that phpBB4 was even at beta yet - I thought it was still at dev
I misspoke. Ops. I meant dev, and wasn't thinking when I written the title.
Stand with Ukraine!

Random American

3Di wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:19 amI highly doubt that a new style will make phpBB4 any better if not just aesthetically, what's behind the curtain is what matters and you still don't seem to get it. :)
That's actually why I asked. I played with the dev and I didn't think there was much wrong with it, but not all bugs are always immediately apparent.
Stand with Ukraine!

david63

Post by david63 »

Random American wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:42 pm not all bugs are always immediately apparent.
The main bug in phpBB4 that I am aware of is that of auto installing extensions - also not sure about the new "auto update". There are probably others that I am not aware of but for most Admins these are the two main changes.
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

rxu

Post by rxu »

This patch https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/6350 should fix installing extensions stuff.

Random American

david63 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:50 am
Random American wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:42 pm not all bugs are always immediately apparent.
The main bug in phpBB4 that I am aware of is that of auto installing extensions - also not sure about the new "auto update". There are probably others that I am not aware of but for most Admins these are the two main changes.
Another bug is the notification not showing the avatar of the person who quoted me. Small potatoes though.
Stand with Ukraine!