phpBB 4.0 support for Bootstrap 5

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 4.x branch of phpBB. The next feature release of phpBB 4 will be 4.0/Triton.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 4.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.

Bootstrap 5 or hanakin framework

Bootstrap 5
40%
Hanakin Framework
50%
Twig
10%

Total votes: 10

DracoBlue_

phpBB 4.0 support for Bootstrap 5

Post by DracoBlue_ »

Why is a new framework being created instead of basing the style on bootstrap 5? This would speed up the work considerably. Many scripts and cms now use bootstrap. I think there should be a great discussion on that. Relying on the bootstrap framework would open a large gateway for people creating styles for phpbb. And that would create many more styles for phpbb, because it would be much faster and easier. And know, the more nice styles for the forum, the more users creating forums on phpbb. Sorry for my bad english. I think there should be a big conversation along with the vote.

Most wordpress templates are based on bootstrap.
Prestashop is also working on bootstrap 5 support.

It's open source, so we should go faster than wasting time on a new framework.
Last edited by DracoBlue_ on Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

david63

Re: phpBB 4.0 support for Bootstrap 5

Post by david63 »

Whist Bootstrap could be an option don't forget that there are many more css frameworks that could be utilised and that should be an option in the poll.

I believe that this discussion has already taken place and the reasoning behind not using one of the existing frameworks is that for phpBB's purposes there is too much bloat - whether that is true or not I cannot say as I am not a style designer, but it has never been a consideration is the past with the likes of Symfony, Twig and Doctrine
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

Hi
with all respect to my friend hanakin , the problem is "time" , hanakin is working alone on chameleon and we can see after 3 or 4 year this project not complete yet and my prediction is maybe it will complete 3 year later.

working on Bootstrap have some benefit , first: others people can develop it not only one person.
second: there are many docs for bootstrap.

i hope to see phpBB 4 next year but chameleon with this conditions not complete until 2025 !

so i am agree with using bootstrap into phpBB in 4 version , chameleon project can be in phpBB 5

3Di

Post by 3Di »

I do not like bootstrap, but as david63 said...
there are many more css frameworks that could be utilised and that should be an option in the poll.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

rxu

Post by rxu »

This poll is pretty useless because there're no frontend developers standing at the start line and waiting for the poll results to go implementing them asap. There's only 1 phpBB frontend developer who's implementing what he thinks right and he's not going to do what the poll will say.
So, anyone is free to get this task and make alternative phpBB core style based on any existing framework instead of creating such ideas/polls/etc just to waste a time.
Also there's no point to spam via PM for people to get to this topic.

DracoBlue_

Post by DracoBlue_ »

chameleon slows down phpbb 4 release. more people could participate in the bootstrap. in chameleon only hanakin knows what's going on.

rxu

Post by rxu »

Noone restricts style developers to Chameleon framework. If there're people who wants to create bootstrap-based phpBB style, they're free to create pull request and do that right now. But there're no such people around, so the conclusion about "more people could participate in the bootstrap" is not obvious.

DracoBlue_

Post by DracoBlue_ »

There are a lot of users in the general forum who style phpbb so maybe one of them could contribute to the project?

david63

Post by david63 »

DracoBlue_ wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:35 pm There are a lot of users in the general forum who style phpbb so maybe one of them could contribute to the project?
And would you be one of them?

I notice you have added Twig but Twig is not a css framework - it is a templating system which will be used no matter which framework is used
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

DracoBlue_

Post by DracoBlue_ »

I am a computer graphic artist, unfortunately I do not deal with the front end.
I invite you to discuss the appearance https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... 51&t=80696