misalignment on index and viewforum

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 4.x branch of phpBB. The next feature release of phpBB 4 will be 4.0/Triton.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 4.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
3Di

Re: misalignment on index and viewforum

Post by 3Di »

Prosk8er wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:31 am did you do any other edits cause for me that code just made the li header taller?
No, the above CSS replaces in toto the old one, that's it.
I removed one line from the original and changed another one.
Always in the same block
Attachments
2021-07-26 16_47_35-Development Discussion Board - Active topics — Mozilla Firefox.png
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn »

Hello, I would still have an improvement proposal (without obligation) - in order to create a minimum distance between the clickable elements ( a.lastsubject and the icon below ), I have a little tried / changed. Otherwise, no "tangible" distance is almost available. Possibly it may be helpful ...., (may be helpful if the icon size remains?).

content.css

Deleted #256:

Code: Select all

dd.lastpost > span {
	line-height: 16px;
}
New margin-top: 5px; in .forum-desc #101:

.forum-desc {
	display: block;
	margin-top: 5px;
}
Change line-height: 16px; in li.header dt, li.header dd #136: ( see code 3Di --> 2 - )

li.header dt,
li.header dd {
	font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
	font-size: 10px;
	text-transform: uppercase;
	border-left-width: 0;
	margin: 2px 0 4px;
	padding-top: 2px;
	padding-bottom: 2px;
}
links.css

new margin-bottom: 5px; in a.lastsubject #88:

a.lastsubject {
	font-weight: bold;
	text-decoration: none;
	margin-bottom: 5px;
}
Test, test - results
result_lastpost_link270721_1.png
Can someone please check the effects and please test again. Many Thanks.

Regards

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

none of this addresses the issue I have with all of the proposals. we need a consensus on what we want before we code right now!

1. do we want the font size and space to be the same for the forum title and the headers? Looking for a simple answer here

The correct code will depend on the answer to this question!
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

3Di

Post by 3Di »

We want prosilver to remain true to the original.

All the time lost can be spent on the new style, that's all, it seems very clear to me. :ugeek:
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

GTi

Post by GTi »

I don't know why there is such a fuss over this issue.

We all want consistency in the code... you are adding line height to one class but not the one next to it hence it is out of line.

The issue is that you are using the same classes in the header as in the row, so changing the CSS affects both.

If you only wanted to change the line height on the items in the row - you could have just used .row in front of the 16px line height changes you made.

This snippet:

dd.lastpost > span {
}
Could have been:

.row dd.lastpost > span {
}

And then instead of adding the line height to this snippet:

ul.topiclist dt .list-inner {
	margin-right: 440px;
	padding-right: 5px;
	padding-left: 5px;
}
You could have just added it using this snippet:

ul.topiclist .row dt .list-inner {
}

The only time the header and row classes of the topic list need to be changed using the same selector like ul.topiclist dt .list-inner { is when adjusting width, side margins and side padding.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Since no one has answered even the simplistic question its clear that no one wants or knows what they want or are talking about. I have stated the issues. Unless an answer to them is proposed then it’s unlikely ever going to be fixed!

GTi

Post by GTi »

hanakin wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:35 am Since no one has answered even the simplistic question its clear that no one wants or knows what they want or are talking about. I have stated the issues. Unless an answer to them is proposed then it’s unlikely ever going to be fixed!
My dear Hanakin please read the topic and specifically read what 3Di said.
3Di wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:32 am We want prosilver to remain true to the original.
He is saying that he wants the topic list header to look the same as it did previously - something most people would agree with.

So ideally the header text should be in the middle - where announcements and last post are currently.

Posting on Area51 is hard work as someone has removed the quote button from the posting editor page topic review panel on small screens. :cry:

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

That does not answer anything the question is should the text all be the same size? Meaning the section header and the column headers! Second they have not always been centered ad I mention already they were originally bottom aligned. If we want them center aligned then ok but we still need to determine if we want all text to be the same size. This affects how it should be coded. Lastly standard is a subjective term here. My meaning is in code as well. As currently the sections are all not coded the same.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

Bottom aligned and text the same size.

3.3.x

GTi

Post by GTi »

All of the text in the forabg.header / forumbg .header should be the same size.

I know Prosilver is old but trying to add extra line height between forum name and forum description / last post title and last post time should not be causing a month long discussion.

Are we not going to focus on Mobile first for Prosilver too?

On smaller screens / mobiles --->

The subforums on the index page look all over the place becuase their width has been restricted to less than 150px,

The quote button from the posting page review section has gone meaning peole can't quote more than one post without going back to the view topic page in a new tab and copying/pasting.

Removing that button seems to have been done using a 'designers head' rather than an 'end users head'

The idea and challenge of mobile first is to make everything fit nicely while increasing space between things but also retaining important features, not just hiding them.

Pinned/sticky topics now have a 'star' icon... why not a 'pin' icon? (thumb tack) so that people know exactly what it means. A star used to mean you had posted in that topic so using it for a sticky toffee could confuse users, <- - a candidate for a 3 month debate :oops: x