misalignment on index and viewforum

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 4.x branch of phpBB. The next feature release of phpBB 4 will be 4.0/Triton.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 4.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Re: misalignment on index and viewforum

Post by hanakin »

The main problem is that you are keeping the span
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

3Di

Post by 3Di »

hanakin wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:41 am The main problem is that you are keeping the span
Which is there in both 3.2 and 3.3. :ugeek:
2021-07-22 04_58_48-.png
Not to mention that if you compare the images from 3.3 and 4.0 you can easily see what I am talking about, not only the foramentioned misalignment but also the increased size of the headers and the viewforum / viewtopic cells, aka a mess.

It seems to me that a case is being created when no case exists. Let us correct this small detail and move on. If for every small detail we have to open a discussion not only the chameleon as we assume will have light in a few years but also the first release of phpBB 4.0.

These days, it's already a lot to have a few users online. Let alone expect anyone to participate in discussions like this one.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

These little things add up to the mess we have now. Consistency in html is the main thing to fix that. All I am saying is that an we need an option to fix that, is desired for 4.0 which we have time to fix. It’s not difficult and I do not want a discussion to have to exists. It just ends up being nessecary to point out all the issues “patches” cause as no one wants to touch the html.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

3Di

Post by 3Di »

hanakin wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:41 am These little things add up to the mess we have now.
Nope, they fix that actually.
The mess has been made from a squashed commit of you to be honest, where also that extra CSS span rule has been added by you.
hanakin wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:41 am is desired for 4.0 which we have time to fix
If we were to quantify time by comparing it to the chameleon at this point we would be faced with absolute obsolete.
So assuming chameleon is ready for phpBB 4.1 why slow down the release of phpBB 4.0 even more?

Like I said, compare the installations (3.3 and 4.0) - I mean use your PC and install both of them, use quick-install if you need help, not just reading the code but live! And take a visual look and then at the code, you'll realise I'm right at this point.
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

3Di

Post by 3Di »

hanakin wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:41 am ...It’s not difficult and I do not want a discussion to have to exists. It just ends up being nessecary to point out all the issues “patches” cause as no one wants to touch the html.
So being yourself the leader, the master of the html etc... do it yourself and we all will be happy. It is your duty at the end of all, isn't?

Mannix_

Post by Mannix_ »

In my opinion we should set the line-height to 16px on those elements more white space = better. It looks better visually and has better readability. Plus the Topic title has the line-height set to 16px already and changing that for consistency to 10 would make it worse.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

I do not think so, I am fighting against the increased size of the headers and the viewforum / viewtopic cells.
Please see the screenshot I posted at github,the link is https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/623 ... -874065208. We need to restablish the usual prosilver behaviour then wait for the chameleon or whatever it is.

DracoBlue_

Post by DracoBlue_ »

template should be based on html5 and css3 and some framework in the end .. to make template creation easier and more modern.

Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn »

Hello, my research showed that probably a line-height of 16px for span needed seemed to be, because the class a.lastsubject otherwise due to the new svg-graphics is no or not enough distance or can, if necessary give a discreet overlap.

*)The approach in the frontend (forumlist_body, viewforum_body) then seems to be quite acceptable to function. Nevertheless, without guarantee and merely considered a consideration, indication, which has no deficits here in the browser tools. It can be in this respect, perhaps possibly helpful. Whether this actually applies, please have to be checked again in terms of content.

The details mentioned here I have viewed and tested all. In this respect, I come to the following results: Please test it ..

content.css, line #256 change to: *)

Code: Select all

dd.lastpost > span {
	line-height: 10px;
}
Then insert after in a new line:

Code: Select all

a.lastsubject {
	line-height: 16px;
}

Regards

3Di

Post by 3Di »

Talk19Zehn wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:41 pm ...
I post again the changes I proposed 20 days ago, in case you missed and tested them.
https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/623 ... -874065208