clone_post out of the box

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 4.x branch of phpBB. The next feature release of phpBB 4 will be 4.0/Triton.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 4.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
warmweer

Re: clone_post out of the box

Post by warmweer »

3Di wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:28 am There is already an idea where you posted and your opinion it was quite the same of us
Actually I agreed that it's not a "must have". But as I mentioned, I do consider it useful (for me: very useful).
The point is that since topic cloning is a default feature (which to me seems just as useful as post cloning generally speaking, but actually a lot less useful to me as using topic cloning requires many more steps to achieve the result I want/need) then why not include post cloning: IF IT IS EASY to IMPLEMENT (and that's something I can't judge).

I'm realistic about this: 1 opinion (mine) is not going to make a difference and seeing the lack of enthousiasm for the idea, I'm not even going to waste time and energy in promoting it. I'll save that to downvote really bad ideas ;-)
Procrastination is my hobby, but I keep on postponing it.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

We have said enough and the data confirms the trend to the detriment of useless discussions. As I said, there is an IDEA and the tracker is available to anyone who "has the time and the inclination" to request a new feature. Amen. 😴

I personally am more inclined to do facts than to argue unnecessarily. But yeah, that`s me.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

Random American

Post by Random American »

warmweer wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:36 pmb) changing the post_time to the post_time of the source post.
To be honest, I cannot think of many situations where the timestamp has to be an exact match, but I understand where you're coming from.
warmweer wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:36 pmIt's a feature I use regularly but don't consider necessary as a default feature. On the other hand, I don't consider cloning a topic important enough for it to be a default feature either
I didn't know you used it. It sounds like a useful extension, not going to lie, but I'm glad we see eye to eye that this does not need to be in the core. It does strike me as a niche function.
Stand with Ukraine!