Feature request re exif tag handling

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 4.x branch of phpBB. The next feature release of phpBB 4 will be 4.0/Triton.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 4.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
jhnmdahl

Feature request re exif tag handling

Post by jhnmdahl »

Right now my forum uses an .exif image rotation plugin developed by 3di that auto-rotates images according to their embedded .exif data, but which doesn't work if your maximum image size isn't set to 0x0 (i.e., if you resize images or limit image size on upload). It seems like handling .exif tags on images would be a useful feature to many users, especially as most photos originate from mobile devices that are often held rotated when taking pictures thesedays, and native forum support for this function would hopefully resolve some of the limitations of using 3di's plugin.

I hope this is the right place to post this, and thanks for considering this feature request,

John

5chn3ll

Re: Feature request re exif tag handling

Post by 5chn3ll »

I'd like to second this request - honoring the rotation metadata would be awesome.

Markus_Kunze

Post by Markus_Kunze »

jhnmdahl wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:48 pm Right now my forum uses an .exif image rotation plugin developed by 3di that auto-rotates images according to their embedded .exif data, but which doesn't work if your maximum image size isn't set to 0x0 (i.e., if you resize images or limit image size on upload). It seems like handling .exif tags on images would be a useful feature to many users, especially as most photos originate from mobile devices that are often held rotated when taking pictures thesedays, and native forum support for this function would hopefully resolve some of the limitations of using 3di's plugin.

I hope this is the right place to post this, and thanks for considering this feature request,

John
Hi. I agree with you, would be a useful feature for many users.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

Well, the limitations of my extension/plugin are due to plupload itself and the way the data are passed to it in the core code, to my knowledge.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

thecoalman
Community Team
Community Team

Post by thecoalman »

I would like to see different approach for this. There should be a user option for how the meta data is handled, keep it or strip it. If keep it is selected you don't need to worry about rotation, you only adjust the height/width and other relevant meta data to resizing. If strip it is selected then you do the rotation of the image data.

ACP option for client side resizing using plupload or server side option using GD or Imagick.