Passworded Forums Phpbb4

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 4.x branch of phpBB. The next feature release of phpBB 4 will be 4.0/Triton.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 4.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Random American

Passworded Forums Phpbb4

Post by Random American »

Will phpbb4 retain the feature of passworded forums? To me and and some others who posted in a similar topic in the phpbb3 forum thought the feature had outlived its usefulness, especially when the same effect can be better achieved with user and group permissions.

I've been on over a dozen phpbb powered forums and the only one that I have seen use this feature is this development board as a demo.

I'm NOT someone who is active in development, so I hope I was not out of line by posting this.
Stand with Ukraine!

Louis7777

Re: Passworded Forums Phpbb4

Post by Louis7777 »

Well, I can personally say it is still being useful to me and wouldn't like to see it go or always have to set permissions. That's just me of course.

Random American

Louis7777 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 6:40 pm Well, I can personally say it is still being useful to me and wouldn't like to see it go or always have to set permissions. That's just me of course.
I mean, maybe it could be relegated to an extension, just as DavidIQ said in the other topic. I certainly don't want people thrown under the bus or anything.
Stand with Ukraine!

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

Random American wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 6:58 pm I mean, maybe it could be relegated to an extension, just as DavidIQ said in the other topic. I certainly don't want people thrown under the bus or anything.
Having an extension feels like a step away from abandonment, which may happen when an extension like this is not important as others and when there's too many extensions to maintain.

Random American

I understand your point.
Stand with Ukraine!

mrgoldy
Former Team Member

Post by mrgoldy »

There are no plans to drop forum passwords as far as I am aware.
phpBB Studio Proud member of the Studio!

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

there is permission system , not need password forum !
i am agree with remove this

3Di

Post by 3Di »

The related code doesn't take up space and it is well known that removing features (especially the working ones, as in this case) is not as simple and accepted as adding them. I don't see why it should be removed, if you want to use it, use it and if you don't want to use it, don't.

It's as simple as that. :)
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

rxu

Post by rxu »

Tend to agree with the previous post.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Louis7777 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 7:22 pm Having an extension feels like a step away from abandonment, which may happen when an extension like this is not important as others and when there's too many extensions to maintain.
Really just a Strawman's argument that gets restated every time a feature is suggested and gets pushed off to an extension. If we were to take this sort of comment seriously then we wouldn't/shouldn't allow extensions at all and just add everything to the core because all extensions are susceptible to abandonment.

In any case I'm not sure that removing the passworded forum feature save us a whole lot so I agree with what Marco said. Did I just reverse course on my previous stance? Yes! 😛