Passworded Forums Phpbb4

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 4.x branch of phpBB. The next feature release of phpBB 4 will be 4.0/Triton.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 4.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Louis7777

Re: Passworded Forums Phpbb4

Post by Louis7777 »

DavidIQ wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:34 pm Really just a Strawman's argument that gets restated every time a feature is suggested and gets pushed off to an extension. If we were to take this sort of comment seriously then we wouldn't/shouldn't allow extensions at all and just add everything to the core because all extensions are susceptible to abandonment.
We're just talking about a feature that has existed for a really long time. And password-protected forums in general have been a thing since the nineties. So if you suddenly decided to move it into an extension because it's not very popular anymore, then you're helping it become even less popular and susceptible to abandonment.

If this were about a complex feature that should be separated from the core because it's better off to develop and treat it separately, then I'm in agreement with you.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

DavidIQ wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:34 pm In any case I'm not sure that removing the passworded forum feature save us a whole lot so I agree with what Marco said. Did I just reverse course on my previous stance? Yes! 😛
But how much do I love these reversals? 😼 😃
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

Random American

Post by Random American »

Alright, If removing it won't save anything, I won't push the matter further.
Stand with Ukraine!

Elias

Post by Elias »

There’s just no point in removing the feature.
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Those boards/installations I've encountered never made use of this feature. Just like the PM rules feature it sits there, needs almost no space, has its advantages, but remains rather unknown/uncommon to everyone. However, we live in times were people argument to not overwhelm them with options and choices, to "ease" the presentation - to be consistent with that way rarily used features are the most obvious ones to die.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

I use PM rules fwiw.

Example: If Sender is xxx | Place into folder: morons :D
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades