phpbb 4

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 4.x branch of phpBB. The next feature release of phpBB 4 will be 4.0/Triton.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 4.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Ger

Re: phpbb 4

Post by Ger »

phpBB 3.2 is quite different from phpBB 3.0. As stated, there's Symfony, there's the complete extension system, there's Twig, there's a new text formatter, rewritten fileclass, plupload, etc. You could call it phpBB 4, but developers chose for phpBB 3.2 instead. That's just a number though, nothing more.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

CarpCharacin

Post by CarpCharacin »

Also, there is fontawesome integration in phpbb 3.2.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

CarpCharacin wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:37 am
3Di wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:34 am Fix it before it breaks sounds more appropriated. :)
I completley agree. I use XenForo for my main forum and i only use phpbb on the goldfish forum because it isn't mine.
Nobody stops you to keep using it, it's up to you.

My above comment was related to the hanakin's one, please do not quote me because that causes a notification sent via email for nothing special, in this case. Thanks for your understanding. :)
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

Stallyon

Post by Stallyon »

phpBB4 is just a dream. But remember, dreams do come true sometimes. Maybe past 2020 if some of these volunteers get bored and want to try something fresh, we might see something emerge.

dude111

Post by dude111 »

I dont think this SW needs another version,its good the way it is :) (V3.x)

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

The phpBB 4 Section seems to be create again LOL

Random American

Post by Random American »

If it ain't broke, no need to fix it, or in this case no need to start anew.
Stand with Ukraine!

david63

Post by david63 »

Random American wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:40 pm If it ain't broke, no need to fix it, or in this case no need to start anew.
Whilst it may not be "broke" some parts of phpBB are not in the best of health and long term they some tlc
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

Random American

Post by Random American »

david63 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:52 pm
Random American wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:40 pm If it ain't broke, no need to fix it, or in this case no need to start anew.
Whilst it may not be "broke" some parts of phpBB are not in the best of health and long term they some tlc
Do you think that the whole code needs to be scraped or just a few things tweaked? I've read earlier in this topic that the former would be an "enormous undertaking." You think it's time?
Stand with Ukraine!

david63

Post by david63 »

Who has said that the whole code is being scrapped?
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!