phpBB 4.0 support for Bootstrap 5

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 4.x branch of phpBB. The next feature release of phpBB 4 will be 4.0/Triton.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 4.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.

Bootstrap 5 or hanakin framework

Bootstrap 5
40%
Hanakin Framework
50%
Twig
10%

Total votes: 10

Mannix_

Re: phpBB 4.0 support for Bootstrap 5

Post by Mannix_ »

DracoBlue_ wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:05 pm I am a computer graphic artist, unfortunately I do not deal with the front end.
I invite you to discuss the appearance https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... 51&t=80696
So which one is it ? https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... #p15748896 😁

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

I hate Bootstrap. It's too intrusive. Imho, that crap shouldn't be used for anything more than prototyping. I don't have an opinion about Hanakin's framework.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

None of your points make any sense. Not having access to bootstrap is in no way a deterrence from participation. In fact quite the opposite. anyone is free to code/design any component and submit it. This does not require a framework. Launch codepen and code/design to your hearts desire and post a link in the forum topic...

This has always been the case since I started working on the project and asked for support. As I have also stated countless times before we are using some of bootstrap in the form of the underlying css where it makes sense. We are however not able to use there class naming conventions and we are in need of an actual framework which bootstrap is absolutely not.

A framework provides a structured and methodical thought out paradigm to simplify development and management. Bootstrap offers nothing in way of this, as its just a UI library. That is not to say they do not have framework aspects to it but its still a far cry from a framework.

rxu is correct as this will go no where as the decision has already been made for countless reason. However if are are looking to build a theme on bootstrap although I would hesitate to use the default version as we are adhering to material design specs. Then you can look at redoing the ACP as this does fit better with bootstrap as its does not have the biggest issue we have with the front-end theme. Thee is no need for customization support...Plus there are several quality admin themes out there already.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

neufke

Post by neufke »

@Hanakin, do you have a github with your framework?

rubencm
Development Team
Development Team

Post by rubencm »

neufke wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:24 pm @Hanakin, do you have a github with your framework?
https://github.com/hanakin/base-l

neufke

Post by neufke »

Thank you @ rubencm ;-)