Ideas. Standard Style Improvements.

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB's style.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB or modifying styles of released phpBB versions. If you need support for phpBB please visit the Support Forums on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding creating styles please post in Styles Support & Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Re: Ideas. Standard Style Improvements.

Post by hanakin »

That’s all well and good but change is inevitable and that’s one major reason why we are releasing this as a major version. Besides it will all be done via js and fallback to normals without it so you can simply disable it for your forum.

Also keep in mind with chameleon we can and will have several components in the library that can be easily swapped out eventually so we can easily have both in core but not in the theme 😉
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

Sandalphon

Post by Sandalphon »

You can always use extensions to enable dark mode, but it definitely looks cooler and more professional when the site has it already enabled. I actually find sites and apps that have it enabled already for their users really caring and innovative. I was trying to add such a feature on my domain a few weeks ago and couldn't do it. It wasn't a big deal anyway as I had to have a Website redesign done on it and add extra layers of security since I had a few DDos attacks that scared me a bit. I had the developer add some cool futures like dark mode in it and it seems to be working quite well
Last edited by Sandalphon on Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

atupuxi

Post by atupuxi »

Dark mode settings also make the content on a screen stand out. The images, icons, text and other elements pop out owing to the contrast and help in highlighting the information and matter displayed on your screen. The visual appeal that this mode offers is a big reason why apps like Spotify, Netflix and gaming platform Steam opt for a dark theme in user interfaces.

MikeMighty

Post by MikeMighty »

I think Dark Mode will be helpful

3Di

Post by 3Di »

Sure, and I think it can be done with just CSS.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

Tread

Post by Tread »

Old news there is an ext that does just this using prosilver no edits are made to any core file.
Screenshot from 2021-12-11 22-10-59.png

3Di

Post by 3Di »

Tread wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:12 pm Old news there is an ext that does just this using prosilver no edits are made to any core file.
New news here...

With modern technology this can be done simply with CSS that aligns with the preferences of the operating system in use (I think Quick Install already implemented it), automatically, no extension required.

Which (your ext), by the way, is limited and obsolete.
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

Tread

Post by Tread »

limited and obsolete ?? Not obsolete and far from limited it can style via css also html changes and php changes with out touching a single core file wink

3Di

Post by 3Di »

I repeat, we're talking about source code development here, not extensions.
Any extension of that type is simply obsolete nowadays with modern technology, I can't explain it any better.

I'm not saying it doesn't work, just that it's useless in this context.