Ideas. Standard Style Improvements.

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB's style.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB or modifying styles of released phpBB versions. If you need support for phpBB please visit the Support Forums on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding creating styles please post in Styles Support & Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
david63

Re: Ideas. Standard Style Improvements.

Post by david63 »

In my opinion both pagination and "Load more" have their place and it is also dependant on where you are on the board and your role on the board.

"Load more" for a topic to display posts is, in most cases, probably OK as generally, in my experience, you only go back/forward one or two pages - I am sure that there are exceptions to that which could be catered for with a "Show all" button (although I don't know how that would affect server load).

However "Load more" would, again in my opinion, be totally inappropriate within a forum for listing topics and for the likes of Member list and most definitely not for reports in the ACP (which I appreciate is not being reworked just yet)

"Load more" is probably more suited to end user use whereas pagination is more suited to Admin use.

One thing that I find annoying with "Load more" on most sites is that if you click on something and move away from that page and then press the back button (either within the application or in the browser) it takes you back to the start and that for me would be a deal breaker.
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

warmweer

Post by warmweer »

Louis7777 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:22 am ...
3Di wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:24 pm That's good for navigation!
Why is it good and what's suddenly wrong with pagination?
See the context of the reply (= your quote of an image which fills the page)
3Di wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:24 pm What's the reason for quoting such a big image? :?
Procrastination is my hobby, but I keep on postponing it.

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

warmweer wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:09 am See the context of the reply (= your quote of an image which fills the page)
3Di wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:24 pm What's the reason for quoting such a big image? :?
Well yeah, I really needn't quote it but I just felt like really emphasizing it.

Anyway, @warmweer what does posting a long image have to do with pagination? I don't see the connection.

We could have quotes with a max-height and faded out content at the bottom (pressing it would expand it), just like Invision Power Board does it. It looks and works really well.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

david63 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:57 am "Load more" for a topic to display posts is, in most cases, probably OK as generally, in my experience, you only go back/forward one or two pages - I am sure that there are exceptions to that which could be catered for with a "Show all" button (although I don't know how that would affect server load).
There are topics that span hundreds of pages. That could be a huge server load.

I think the benefits here need to be weighed. If adding "load more" to topics adds unneeded complexity to topic rendering because we still need to display unread messages and specific replies along with the replies around it to add context, then that needs to be evaluated to see if it would even be worth it for topics weighing that against any benefits to be had from adding such a feature. We also need to keep in mind that this is still forum software, not a commenting system or even a threaded topic format where such a feature might make more sense.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

DavidIQ wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:11 pm
david63 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:57 am "Load more" for a topic to display posts is, in most cases, probably OK as generally, in my experience, you only go back/forward one or two pages - I am sure that there are exceptions to that which could be catered for with a "Show all" button (although I don't know how that would affect server load).
There are topics that span hundreds of pages. That could be a huge server load.

I think the benefits here need to be weighed. If adding "load more" to topics adds unneeded complexity to topic rendering because we still need to display unread messages and specific replies along with the replies around it to add context, then that needs to be evaluated to see if it would even be worth it for topics weighing that against any benefits to be had from adding such a feature. We also need to keep in mind that this is still forum software, not a commenting system or even a threaded topic format where such a feature might make more sense.
Actually there is no server load issue you do not load anything but what we load now. You just fetch and load the next page of results either on click of a button or when you scroll past a certain point or what not...

Also this is all handled in the front end meaning if you want either way you can easily change the theme as well.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

hanakin wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:50 pm Actually there is no server load issue you do not load anything but what we load now. You just fetch and load the next page of results either on click of a button or when you scroll past a certain point or what not...
I was commenting about loading an entire 400 page topic via some "View all replies" button, which would certainly cause heavy server loads.
hanakin wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:50 pm Also this is all handled in the front end meaning if you want either way you can easily change the theme as well.
While entirely true, the default style has to support reading unread replies as well as being able to load a specific reply, both of which are core features. There's likely other features that must be supported in the default style as well. How you keep those core features in place is obviously up to you, but they need to be supported by the default style and I don't see how that's possible with a "Load more" setup for topics.

I think having this "Load more" feature is fine for forums as one views the list of topics, but that doesn't really fit in well (maybe not at all) with how one interacts or reads through topics.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Ah First for clarification we were disscussing forums not topics. I have not started working on topics yet. As I have not started yet I am not rellay sure what features you are refering to specifically for them, but if we did and I am not saying we will for topics it would still work the same way you would only load the topics for the page you are on...it would only fetch what is needed and adjust the dom as you scrolled. You can even dymanically display the page you are on if that was desired. You still have paging in the background, you just render the content and interact with the pages seamlessly with no or limited clicking required and page reloads. You would still be able to go to a specific post/first/last/first unread etc... It would just load the surrounding posts

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Louis7777 wrote: @Louis7777
take a look at how nodebb handles paging. The design needs some work but essentially what I am refering too.

https://community.nodebb.org/category/3 ... evelopment

It scrolls but updates the dynamic nav in the header. The y also have an issue with reaching the footer which is usually solved by an inital load more button.

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

hanakin wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:28 pm take a look at how nodebb handles paging. The design needs some work but essentially what I am refering too.

https://community.nodebb.org/category/3 ... evelopment

It scrolls but updates the dynamic nav in the header. The y also have an issue with reaching the footer which is usually solved by an inital load more button.
Horrible and nerve-racking. A horror movie contains less horror than the horror that I just witnessed.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

constructive criticism 😜perhaps elaborate on what the issues are? keep in mind as I mentioned the implementation needs some work. they lack a jump to page feature which could easily be added. It sill uses pages and even dynamically updates the page count. Also again as I mentioned they need a sticky footer with this.