ICONS - How to handle SVG explained

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB's style.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB or modifying styles of released phpBB versions. If you need support for phpBB please visit the Support Forums on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding creating styles please post in Styles Support & Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Arty
Former Team Member

Re: ICONS - How to handle SVG explained

Post by Arty »

Changed most icons.

Few changes from your list:

1. Close icon should be fa-solid:times, not fa-solid:times-circle because is placed outside of dialog. With fa-solid:times-circle "X" in middle is transparent, which makes icon look very bad. Instead I've changed code to fa-solid:times in container with 50% border-radius. Result looks similar, but "X" in middle is white.

2. Poll and attachment icons in topic list cannot be FontAwesome icons. Those icons are 11x11, FontAwesome 5 is designed for 16x16 and scales down very very badly. Instead of FontAwesome 5 icons I've used Dashicons there: dashicons-chart-bar and dashicons-paperclip. Dashicons set is designed for 20x20, it looks much better at 11x11 and even better at 10x10, so I've also added css to use 10x10 for those icons.

Test forum: https://arty.dev/phpbb-test/index.php
Feel free to register and spam

canonknipser

Post by canonknipser »

Arty wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:32 pm What is "post icons" section for?
I guess the small icon next to the username in a post:
Screenshot_20190323_175553.png
Screenshot_20190323_175553.png (2.3 KiB) Viewed 28156 times
Greetings
Frank
phpbb.de support team member - no support via PM or mail
English is not my native language
Extensions and scripts for phpBB

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

canonknipser wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:56 pm
Arty wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:32 pm What is "post icons" section for?
I guess the small icon next to the username in a post:
Screenshot_20190323_175553.png
Yes, but there are so many of them in that section. In prosilver its just read or unread.

canonknipser

Post by canonknipser »

There some more post icons in the quick menu
Screenshot_20190323_183304.png
Screenshot_20190323_183304.png (8.14 KiB) Viewed 28150 times
Greetings
Frank
phpbb.de support team member - no support via PM or mail
English is not my native language
Extensions and scripts for phpBB

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

canonknipser wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:33 pm There some more post icons in the quick menuScreenshot_20190323_183304.png
Oh, right. Thanks.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Arty wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:32 pm
hanakin wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:43 pmusing this as reference

https://codepen.io/hanakin/pen/GPZvev?editors=1100
What is "post icons" section for? I'm confused because that list doesn't match functionality of prosilver.
yeah its hard to categorize everything easily thing in prosilver. Its even more out of control in the new theme. This was ported over from the new theme to test things. So ignore the categories really and follow the names. But yeah those are all the quicklink and various uses of the page icons through out the theme.

Also not sure why you are using 11px? or 10px for that matter most icons are supposed to be 14px by default?

They only places we used 10px icons was in the forum/topic rows because the fontsize and line-heights there are *beep* up and there was not enough space without changing them. If you fix those line-heights then we might not even ned the 10px icons at all. The one that is used in the post should just be normal size think we just changed it for consistency, but the quicklinks are 14px so should just be 14px as well.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image