Design Inspiration

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB's style.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB or modifying styles of released phpBB versions. If you need support for phpBB please visit the Support Forums on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding creating styles please post in Styles Support & Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Design Inspiration

Post by hanakin »

Once we get to the actual design it will help if we have user inputs for inspiration to pull from.

How this works?

Post screenshots and images of anything that you feel would work well in a new design.

Requirements: Provide what you can
1. Link to source
2. The image itself
3. Brief description answering the what, where, how....

This should be lots of fun to see everyones ides. You can also post your own designs and just to be clear this does not have to be full mockups of an entire forum or even a forum it can be small design elements or anything really.

My initial submissions

1. Just some cool aspects
https://dribbble.com/shots/2605674-Game ... nts/519750

2. Some very simple basic mockups
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dhq9uws9ko46u ... 3.png?dl=0

3. Some nice interface elements
https://dribbble.com/shots/2977673-Box-Notes-Interface

4. another clean interface
https://dribbble.com/shots/2978448-Invi ... nts/620434

5. Nice grid based categories
https://dribbble.com/shots/2978282-Soci ... nts/620392

6. Some ui possibilities
https://dribbble.com/shots/2977675-Filt ... -Framework

I know mine are sort of general and broad but these are just examples will post more specific ones as time goes on...

post what you got!!!!!
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

3Di

Re: Design Inspiration

Post by 3Di »

Please put into considerations a lap of time of at least 2 years and look forward to find and purpose something very new for those times. All of this seems to me a standing ovation, so to speak. An obsolete deja-vu.

Not to be rude, just my opinion.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

Rhino.Freak

Post by Rhino.Freak »

3Di wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:48 am Please put into considerations a lap of time of at least 2 years and look forward to find and purpose something very new for those times. All of this seems to me a standing ovation, so to speak. An obsolete deja-vu.

Not to be rude, just my opinion.
We cannot look into future and try to see what MAY be popular at those times now can we? If you mean to suggest something totally new and unique by all means please post so we can see for ourselves if it looks appealing to majority or not.
I find the above posted design inspirations really good actually, they're simple and clean yet look modern. It may or may not be out of fashion in 2 years, how can we know? If there is indeed a design trend change later it wouldn't very difficult to tweak the theme accordingly.

UI and designs have been going mostly flat and material design thanks to smartphones' OSes. Too much gradient or rounded corners are not pleasing in my opinion and are obsolete these days.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

The new design/style will not see the sunlight before two years. :) IMHO.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

Joyce&Luna

Post by Joyce&Luna »

So many years still the same picture, it is time that something new is created.
This should not happen in 2-3 years.
Here a NEW and OLD design should be offered.
Make a survey on phpbb.com and let the users decide.
If you do not have time to develop a new design, there are certainly others who would like to like to do.
This person will be included in your team.
I think there are some designers who want to show their ideas.
A collaboration between users and the phpbb team could be a good thing.
If you do not want to support this, you should at least use a reasonable blue.
My contributions are translated from German to English by google. This can lead to misunderstanding.

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

How about keeping the current prosilver theme and just try to organize and reduce the CSS as much as possible? And do the same job with less elements and HTML5.

I think only the UCP and MCP need a revamp. The rest already looks good.

Leave it to the style authors to produce modern themes by providing them something easier to work with. Just my opinion.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

all goods points

the timelines can get lengthy not due to design but due to the amount of coding that has to happen. We have to start from scratch and put in place code that will be looking towards the future in that we want to make it as easy as possible to make changes to the design for us to maintain as well as for the everyday use to make adjustments and new themes. This is a lengthy process and the 2-3 yr suggestions is probably more accurate but we want to try and get this out as soon as possible. The biggest driving factor is participation. We need more individuals assistance to make this happen on the coding side.

As for prosilver, it really not possible how you listed it. alot more than that would need overhauled but once we have a framework the community can easily port it over.

We need a simple theme without al the bells and whistles, something clean as a base to build on. That has been my focus.

Joyce&Luna

Post by Joyce&Luna »

Hello Hanakin

Why do not you ask one of the good extension writers, if he would like to participate in phpbb?
There are certainly some who would help but not come to you by themselves.
I would help if I could, but my english is bad and I can not get any PHP and also no SQL.
Although I have many years as a forum operator phpBB, I am concerned only one year so intensively.
I can only write my opinions here, as I see the whole.
I also hope the google the text so well from German to English. translated.
Just drum the people together who have time and desire to support you. Amongst these, there are certainly some who can also design well.
My contributions are translated from German to English by google. This can lead to misunderstanding.

Rhino.Freak

Post by Rhino.Freak »

On the same line as Joyce&Luna I want to say it to the premium style authors that they should try to contribute in the new theme. Sure they're not entitled to but I believe it might be great to give something back to the community of they are not.

Other than that I don't agree with just improving Prosilver.
A simple and sweet new theme with white and mild blue as primary colors sound the best to me that would suit as a "default" theme.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Joyce&Luna

thanks for the suggestions, the issue is not php or sql we have plenty of devs that can handle that. The issue is the amount of html/css and js that needs to be coded. There is some php and sql required, but what we really need is professional front end experience. Familiarity with advanced techniques and workflows when it comes to using things like pre processors, build tools, linting, and advanced css coding concepts like oocss, itcss, smacss, etc... Especially when it comes to application development with a focus on customization.

At the moment however we are not really at a stage for that as I am still working on laying the groundwork and working out some things with the framework. This needs to be finalized before any heavy lifting can be accomplished with the design/dev of a new theme.

Yes there are lots of theme/extension authors but most of them are not experienced in advanced concepts and/or lack time in their busy schedules to pick it up.

This means time spent in teaching and more time dedicated to reviewing their work. Its these reason I want to lay things out with lots of guidelines and some quality examples before moving forward in asking for mass help.

p.s Professional design/ui/ux experience is also useful...