New Style for phpBB 3.3 ?

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB's style.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB or modifying styles of released phpBB versions. If you need support for phpBB please visit the Support Forums on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding creating styles please post in Styles Support & Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Lirodon

Re: New Style for phpBB 3.3 ?

Post by Lirodon »

Right now this is just HTML code. Its not a working model.

neufke

Post by neufke »

Rhino.Freak wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:37 am
Lirodon wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:26 am Admittedly, the ProSilver style feels very dated. The design language of the web has changed, and even though 3.1 did make subtle changes to the theme to improve its markup with more use of CSS to replace hardcoded images, we've had the exact same default interface for nearly 10 years. phpBB looks like it is stuck in the past.

Beyond the aesthetics issues, ProSilver is also not optimized for high resolution and touch-based enviroments. Small text and buttons may have been approriate back when 1024x768 was the most common resolution, but becomes progressively tiny and hard to read on higher-resolution displays. Just think of what it looks like on a 4K monitor without zooming. Some of our sprites still use GIF images too.

You, also, really have to design things mobile-first nowadays. We need to have a theme that is more in line with modern design trends, and can be easily customized by webmasters to compliment their overall web design.
+100
This. So much this. Also I would like to contribute to this theme in any way possible :)
+1

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Lirodon wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:00 am Personally, I think we should internally support one of the compiled CSS formats (either SASS or LESS).
We were planning on going with SASS from the looks of it.

Rhino.Freak

Post by Rhino.Freak »

Does that mean we have to learn a bit of SASS and compile everytime we edit something in this theme? That doesn't sound good to me.

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

Rhino.Freak wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:16 pm Does that mean we have to learn a bit of SASS and compile everytime we edit something in this theme? That doesn't sound good to me.
In a development environment, SASS would be compiled at runtime in the browser. For distribution, SASS would be pre-compiled so a normal CSS file can be distributed.

If you just want to edit something in a theme, well that's a lot easier with something like SASS because instead of finding something in a spaghetti of thousand son CSS lines, ideally, you'll find it in one spot (like how easy it would be to change a color code).
Has an irascible disposition.

david63

Post by david63 »

Out of interest how would using SASS affect extensions?
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

VSE wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:37 pmIn a development environment, SASS would be compiled at runtime in the browser.
I had an opportunity to try this technique on one major project and found it impractical. Gulp + browsersync are my favourites now. I am not sure whether there has already been a discussion about it, but maybe you could consider using gulp (which has tons of other advantages as well).

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Yes gulp is also being pegged for this as well. Pretty sure Hanakin and callumacrae were on board with that, though not entirely sure.
callumacrae wrote:
Hanakin wrote:

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

Senky wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:37 pm Gulp + browsersync are my favourites now. I am not sure whether there has already been a discussion about it, but maybe you could consider using gulp (which has tons of other advantages as well).
+1

It also has some nice modules for generating sprites.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Yes gulp will be used... Yes sass(specifically scss) will be used for the development version. Mini fixation will be used. Compression will be used. Things will be highly modular and better organized to make things easier to adjust things. There is still a lot of details and problems to work out, trust that we want something that will pls everyone weather they are a developer or have never touch html and are working with every aspect in mind
Donations welcome via Paypal Image