Which IE versions should we kill?

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB's style.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB or modifying styles of released phpBB versions. If you need support for phpBB please visit the Support Forums on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding creating styles please post in Styles Support & Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.

Which Internet Explorer versions should we kill?

IE8
15%
IE8 and IE9
29%
IE8, IE9 and IE10
8%
All of them!
38%
I love IE
9%

Total votes: 78

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Re:

Post by callumacrae »

dude111 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:00 am Its important to look @ browser stats and see whats being used the most :) (IE,firefox,etc)
We don't have access to that data. We have access to the browser data on phpbb.com and area51.phpbb.com, but due to its nature, it's not exactly typical usage.

It should be assumed that browser data is on par with global average.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

dude111

Post by dude111 »

Ya I would assume so..

I think you guys do a good job on this SW :)

Going4Quests

Re: Which IE versions should we kill?

Post by Going4Quests »

Pony99CA wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:59 am
Going4Quests wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:28 pm Well, Microsoft is going to kill Internet Explorer itself, but only in Windows 10.
Where has that been announced? I've read that IE has been kept in Windows 10 for enterprise compatibility. I have not heard that Edge will get those features.

Also, as a reminder, in January 2016, Microsoft will stop supporting all but the latest browser on a given OS. That may mean IE 9 for Vista and IE 11 for Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10. (I believe that Windows XP is no longer supported.) That could be something to base phpBB browser support on.

Steve
Edge just has consumer functions and they're actively working on adding entreprise functions as I said. When IE has all entreprise stuff, it'll be removed. I'm a Windows Insider (receiving betas etc)

Pony99CA

Re:

Post by Pony99CA »

dude111 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:05 am Well just because the software isnt supported doesnt mean people arent using it,important to remember that....
Did somebody forget that?

The point is that if Microsoft won't support IE 8 on any active operating systems, that seems like a good point to cut things.

I saw a post somewhere (maybe on a phpBB site) that said the poster was still using IE 6! Should we support that? I don't want to be ruthless, but if somebody is still running Windows XP with IE 6, I'm not sure that we should spend resources to support that.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

dude111

Post by dude111 »

Ya well on this site I am probably the only one running IE6 (MyIE2) but I really wonder if anyone on here is running IE7?

I dunno....... Im just curious about those things is all....... And NO I dont think its worth it really if not many are using it.....

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Previous user: TheKiller

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Doesn't really affect us much, if at all. ;) From the looks of it, most of the style development in 3.2 has gone on with the assumption that these browsers wouldn't be supported and that was without taking this topic into consideration at all.

dude111

Post by dude111 »

Is this site now on 3.2??

It looks a little different since the last time I logged in IN DEC,I like the look!

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

area51 is used as the main testing ground it is always on the current version weather that be a release or just the current progress in the repo.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

riteshosscube

Post by riteshosscube »

Microsoft has killed support for those older browsers as of January 12. Your alternatives include upgrading to IE 11, switching to a rival browser or jumping to Windows 10 to get the Edge browser. The move doesn't mean older versions of IE will disappear from your PC. It does mean no more bug fixes, updates or other patches will be released, leaving those editions vulnerable to malware and other security threats. Ending support for the older versions of Internet Explorer is a way to prod people to newer versions of Microsoft's operating system that support IE 11, especially Windows 10, which debuted in late July, 2016.