Which IE versions should we kill?

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB's style.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB or modifying styles of released phpBB versions. If you need support for phpBB please visit the Support Forums on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding creating styles please post in Styles Support & Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.

Which Internet Explorer versions should we kill?

IE8
15%
IE8 and IE9
29%
IE8, IE9 and IE10
8%
All of them!
38%
I love IE
9%

Total votes: 78

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Re: Which IE versions should we kill?

Post by DavidIQ »

So what will that mean for users of IE9 and 10?

BTW That's just for general information, not vouching for anyone using either of those outdated browsers.

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader

Post by Paul »

Marc wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:16 pm Any new style should aim at supporting only supported versions. The average lifetime of a style should nowadays be longer than that of a browser version. Therefore I'm all for dropping support of IE9 & 10.
In general yes, but I think we really should also look at some usage statistics before making such descision. I knop a lot of companies are stil on IE10, and will be for some time.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

the main reason individuals were stuck on older versions of ie and still are in regards to IE8 sort of is due to there company having to overall some sort of app that was built to only work in quicks mode IE 8 and is extremely hard to change as it involves very expensive and lengthy (several year long) reviews to switch.

This was actually stated by MS themselves through their own research. This in turn lead to versions of IE11 and EDGE to have an IE8 BC mode to accommodate these outliers meaning that they could finally upgrade and they would have to move from IE to to IE11 if not EDGE but probably IE11 as Windows 10 is still relatively new and 8 or 8.1 are useless for enterprise.

Current stats on usage are about 1% for both 9 & 10 and 1.5% for IE 8 according in the last 12 months according to http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser_vers ... 201608-bar.

Even at my work who is one of these outliers has fully moved on to IE11 for public devices and in the process of doing so for intranet devices.

Also worth noting that as far as IE10 & IE11 go there is not really much difference in render.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

Rhino.Freak

Post by Rhino.Freak »

Kill all but IE11. I think that's sensible and fair.

spaceace

Post by spaceace »

i'm for dropping all IE support. it has had to have special coding ever since i can remember... and i'm 44 :lol:

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

this topic is dead and as such the decisions have already been made... We are using autoprefixer to determine our browser support going forward

https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/blob/mas ... ile.js#L23

Solidjeuh

Post by Solidjeuh »

Kill them all :D I'm a Firefox user, Beta & Nightly.

david63

Post by david63 »

Solidjeuh wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:33 pm Kill them all :D I'm a Firefox user, Beta & Nightly.
And while you are about it kill Edge as well :o
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

This is a 3 year old topic we have already solved this issue so im closing this