PHPBB3-15097 - Board statistics page should show PHP version

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB. Current releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3/Proteus.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Re: PHPBB3-15097 - Board statistics page should show PHP version

Post by DavidIQ »

Not for this particular item. Someone will review the code and merge it at some point. You're welcome to peruse through our tracker and see if anything else fancies your attention though 😁

P_I
Community Team
Community Team

Post by P_I »

That was my plan.

P_I
Community Team
Community Team

Post by P_I »

I've worked a bit further on this update, separating out the 'Installed software' from the 'Board statistics'.
PHPBB3-15097 fix, v2.PNG
The concept is borrowed from Version - MediaWiki. Does this improve the ACP main page and potentially reduce the number of questions about what versions of software are installed for a board? Any other feedback?

P_I
Community Team
Community Team

Post by P_I »

Two more newbie questions if you don't mind.

First, adm/style/acp_main.html contains a number of condition checks such as <!-- IF S_VERSIONCHECK -->. I've read through Tutorial.Template syntax but cannot find anything that helps me understand how to test the various conditions. Some are obvious based on board configuration, but other's are not and might need to be simulated. How does one simulate them?

Second question, if I'm going to make further changes, do I start a new pull request or add them to the existing one?

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

For your first question: you can simulate on/off by editing the template->assign_vars part of that area of the ACP to set those to true or false.

For your second question: if it's to make it look like your screenshot I think I'd include it in the same pr.

P_I
Community Team
Community Team

Post by P_I »

Time for a functional question. Currently someone with access to ACP but without acl_a_board permission cannot see the phpBB version information, yet they can see the Database server information. I suspect that's unintended.

In my next update, I plan to allow anyone with access to ACP to all the Installed software information, but only those with acl_a_board permission will get the phpBB version colour coded, have it linked to the System tab:Version check page and have '[ Re-Check version ]' displayed beside the version number.

Without administer board permission will see:
ACP Installed software - not admin board.PNG
ACP Installed software - not admin board.PNG (8.15 KiB) Viewed 24158 times
With administrator board permission will see:
ACP Installed software - admin board.PNG
ACP Installed software - admin board.PNG (9.19 KiB) Viewed 24158 times
Is this appropriate?

P_I
Community Team
Community Team

Post by P_I »

Now I'm totally confused. Checked in new code and https://travis-ci.org/phpbb/phpbb/builds/203214390 passed.

Then I inadvertently hit the wrong button and closed https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/4705. I subsequently reopened it and now the same code errored in https://travis-ci.org/phpbb/phpbb/builds/203221491. I looked at the failed job logs and they appear to be travis setup issues, not my PR. What do I need to do to re-submit to travis?

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Either we can restart the jobs directly (right now I myself am afk) or you can force a restart by closing and reopening the pr.

P_I
Community Team
Community Team

Post by P_I »

Thanks again David. I'll close and reopen.

Update: All checks have passed, again.

Lady_G

Post by Lady_G »

This update creates two new variables 'SOFTWARE_HEADING' and 'PHP_VERSION' not present in the existing language packs (other than the supplied British English).

My default language is American English, which displays the variables literally. I've updated the bug tracker (and github) with my comments.