Support for Emojis

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB. Current releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3/Proteus.
martec

Re: Support for Emojis

Post by martec »

DavidIQ wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:20 am
We forgive you for being wrong. 😉 The emoji functionality comes from the text formatter library mentioned throughout this topic and is not a function within phpBB. If anything the attribution would be there. Won't really matter much anyways as the last few posts have been about the author of that library getting rid of emojione usage and going with something else.
Thanks for the information and sorry again.

JoshyPHP

Post by JoshyPHP »

JoshyPHP wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:06 pm I'm considering forking either Twemoji or Noto with filenames that match Emojione for backward compatibility, but I need to check that it can be hosted by a free CDN such as cdnjs.

Twemoji
ImageImage

Noto
ImageImage
I have unofficially forked Noto Emoji as an experiment. You can use it on phpBB with this extension: https://github.com/s9e/phpbb-ext-noto-e ... oemoji.zip

Below are the images hosted on jsDelivr, an Open Source CDN that doesn't sucks and serves SVGZ files correctly.
Image Image

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Since it was brought up: is there still a plan to replace EmojiOne with something else or has there been some change in their licensing for what they provide through CDN?

JoshyPHP

Post by JoshyPHP »

Personally I have no plans whatsoever. I do maintain the Noto fork but I have no plans for it either.

The only reliable emoji set that's on a public CDN is Twemoji and it uses a different naming scheme as the one used in s9e\TextFormatter. Switching to it would require some work.

martti

Post by martti »

3Di

Post by 3Di »

It seems to me martti you are bound to make bigger something that could be easily dealt with. IMHO.
Let's examine the facts/license. https://www.emojione.com/licenses/free#attribution

* Free license allows for use of non-vector (PNG) icons, up to 128px - in fact ( https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/emojione/asset ... 4/2764.png )

* May not redistribute assets - no one he's doing that, in fact are served via CDN.

* May not include icons in open source projects ( no icons are included, see above)

* Free license requires proper attribution ... (... In the footer of every page where emoji are shown ... )
.. here there is something to do as a matter of fact, simply placing in the overall_footer.html file an extra line of credits IMO. Thoughts?

Not to mention we are on the issue reported as to fix a thing about the CDN's delivery settings.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

Wont title attribute in emoji tag solve credit line problem?

3Di

Post by 3Di »

GanstaZ wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:04 pm Wont title attribute in emoji tag solve credit line problem?
Not really, they are really nitpicking ... ofcourse.

That's the real excerpt from their rules.
3Di wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:44 pm In the footer of every page where emoji are shown
So I am assuming that the credit line should do it better. My personal 2 €uroCents.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

martti

Post by martti »

IMO,

phpBB is already way too heavy. phpBB should evolve towards lightweight and flexible. That means: not trying to put everything in core and enhance the possibilities for extending. That enhances the experience for everyone (admins & developers). Emojis should not be in core. Admins should choose the emojis (and if they want them), their license and from where they are served, and choose which extension implementation works best for them.

martti

Post by martti »

3Di wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:44 pm It seems to me martti you are bound to make bigger something that could be easily dealt with. IMHO.
Let's examine the facts/license. https://www.emojione.com/licenses/free#attribution

* Free license allows for use of non-vector (PNG) icons, up to 128px - in fact ( https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/emojione/asset ... 4/2764.png )

* May not redistribute assets - no one he's doing that, in fact are served via CDN.

* May not include icons in open source projects ( no icons are included, see above)

* Free license requires proper attribution ... (... In the footer of every page where emoji are shown ... )
.. here there is something to do as a matter of fact, simply placing in the overall_footer.html file an extra line of credits IMO. Thoughts?

Not to mention we are on the issue reported as to fix a thing about the CDN's delivery settings.
The page you are referring says " ... May not include icons in open source projects". It's unclear what that means. However the Free License Agreement itself says:
3.4 What can’t you do with the EmojiOne Properties?
(F) Use it in open source projects.
(M) Use it without proper attribution (as described in Section 4)
In order to clear things up, I've send a message to EmojiOne through their contact-form and requested to comment on the current implementation in phpBB. (referring this topic and the ticket).