Support for Emojis

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB. Current releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3/Proteus.
JoshyPHP

Re: Support for Emojis

Post by JoshyPHP »

Each emoji set uses a different filename scheme, which makes it much harder to switch from a one to another unless you maintain your own fork.
Currently, the value that's stored in the post's data is 1f3f3-1f308. There's no easy way to convert that into the other sets' filenames.

GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

Why not add attribute link (at least for now, if there will be a switch to noto or whatever, it can be changed/removed later) that was mentioned in Use of EmojiOne Icons requires attribution link in the footer?

CHItA
Development Team
Development Team

Post by CHItA »

JoshyPHP wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 1:14 pm Each emoji set uses a different filename scheme, which makes it much harder to switch from a one to another unless you maintain your own fork.
Currently, the value that's stored in the post's data is 1f3f3-1f308. There's no easy way to convert that into the other sets' filenames.
Aren't we storing just the unicode in the database? If so, we should be able to convert to any format rather easily. I have no idea what are the noto SVGs licensed as, but CC-BY is pretty common and simple to comply with. I don't really know how we ended up with EmojiOne 3.x, and it is not the best that the license can change any time without us even knowing about it. So I rather extend the textformatter in someway, or just use the JS libs this emoji sets come with.

Not sure which would make the most sense with the package, and I saw you removed twemoji support, so I assumed we will have to come up with something custom.

JoshyPHP

Post by JoshyPHP »

If the user used the actual emoji character or sequence then yes, you have the original character available if you want to process it at display time somehow. If they used an ASCII name such as :rainbow_flag: it gets dicier, considering there's no standard for them. Either way, the only values available for templating are the original input and the EmojiOne-style sequence, e.g. 1f3f3-1f308.

CHItA
Development Team
Development Team

Post by CHItA »

JoshyPHP wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 9:16 pm Either way, the only values available for templating are the original input and the EmojiOne-style sequence, e.g. 1f3f3-1f308.
One thing that might be an option is converting from the :format: to unicode first. That would make it possible to use any emoji imageset as the output.

Not sure whether you would merge something like that back into your Emoji plugin, but I believe that should abstract things enough to make things switchable more easily on the front end.

JoshyPHP

Post by JoshyPHP »

For future reference, starting with 1.3 the Emoji plugin provides an easier way to use Twemoji assets from their CDN using the @tseq attributes. phpBB currently ships with the 0.13.1 version and there's been a few backward-incompatible changes between 0.x and 1.x but only one of them directly affects phpBB (tag invalidation) and the rest are probably obscure enough that nobody is affected. The one that does should be documented in the writing phpBB extensions thing, tag me in the relevant discussion because I don't remember who does docs and how.

I have a feature branch on GitHub that you can squash-merge/reauthor whenever you want to update your dependency. The branch's git log is trash so don't use it.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

are we currently using Twemoji or emojione? If the former then https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/5311/files is not necessary just a readme link
Donations welcome via Paypal Image