PHPBB3-10418 - WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB. Current releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3/Proteus.
AliasM2K

Re: [RFC] WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Post by AliasM2K »

callumacrae wrote:I prefer CKEditor.
CKEditor is good. But I am not too sure if its styles can go matching with phpBB.

And, here are the links to my editors build using CKEditor and TinyMCE and their bbcode plugin.
  1. TinyMCE based Rich Text Editor for phpBB
  2. CKEditor based Rich Text Editor for phpBB

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

Please keep in mind that the biggest issue with integrating a rich text editor in the past has been support for custom bbcodes.

AliasM2K

Post by AliasM2K »

Oleg wrote:Please keep in mind that the biggest issue with integrating a rich text editor in the past has been support for custom bbcodes.
Will remember that... In fact that is one of the biggest mess I am encountering now. Custom BBCodes...

Anyway, thanks for the tip :)

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

AliasM2K wrote:
callumacrae wrote:I prefer CKEditor.
CKEditor is good. But I am not too sure if its styles can go matching with phpBB.
And, here are the links to my editors build using CKEditor and TinyMCE and their bbcode plugin.
  1. TinyMCE based Rich Text Editor for phpBB
  2. CKEditor based Rich Text Editor for phpBB
Please put that online for us to see without the need of forking and pulling:
http://help.github.com/pages/

jsebean

Post by jsebean »

Agreed, CKEditor is better, and CKEditor can be styled however you like, take IPB as an example.
-Jonah

AliasM2K

Post by AliasM2K »

brunoais wrote:Please put that online for us to see without the need of forking and pulling:
http://help.github.com/pages/
Thanks for the suggestion... Did that. Here are the links:
RTE for phpBB based on TinyMCE
RTE for phpBB based on CKEditor

So... Feedbacks?

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

TinyMCE works on my phone, while CKEditor doesn't, really.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

CKEditor has that feature where you can see the source in the same place as I'm writting and that's fast. I like that.
on the other hand, TinyMCE requires me to open a new window. The way my browser is working (a bit heavy) that process is very slow. Also, in order to get updated information after I alter anything in the WYSIWYG editor I need to open another new window or reload the current view source one. In that CKEditor wins.

There are also other small stuff where CKEditor wins.
TinyMCE wins in the subject that it is simpler than CKEditor, therefore, quicker to load.

TinyMCE Contains less "abaisive"(?) (should I call it like this?) way of using the browser.

All in all, seems like CKEditor is better. The major thing I believe just need to know why it needs to disable to buttons when we are viewing the source code

AliasM2K

Post by AliasM2K »

brunoais wrote:All in all, seems like CKEditor is better.
jsebean wrote:Agreed, CKEditor is better, and CKEditor can be styled however you like, take IPB as an example.
Hmm... Going to work on CKEditor to attempt fixing the bugs. The only thing is that I don't know where or how to start,,, The documentation and forums perhaps? At forums, I asked about this couple of times... but no reply :(

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

AliasM2K wrote:
brunoais wrote:All in all, seems like CKEditor is better.
jsebean wrote:Agreed, CKEditor is better, and CKEditor can be styled however you like, take IPB as an example.
Hmm... Going to work on CKEditor to attempt fixing the bugs. The only thing is that I don't know where or how to start,,, The documentation and forums perhaps? At forums, I asked about this couple of times... but no reply :(
Yeah their forums are not very active. Perhaps you can contact Wiktor who replied some time ago here.