PHPBB3-10418 - WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB. Current releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3/Proteus.
jsebean

Re: [RFC] WYSIWYG Editor

Post by jsebean »

VSE+ wrote:Just some food for thought here...

How about, instead of trying to put in a WYSIWYG, do something like we see over on github - have a live preview button that will turn your post-box into a preview, using ajax and stuff so there is no reloading. And you can quickly bounce back and forth between Write and Preview modes if needed. Seems like a much easier task to implement than a WYSIWYG.
I personally like the CKEditor idea better... given the fact CKEditor team has made the editor and did most of the hard work so far themselves, it shouldn't be too hard to implement.
-Jonah

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Re: [RFC] WYSIWYG Editor

Post by callumacrae »

[quote="wiktor"]Just wanted to propose something, not sure how similar it is to the results of the conversation in IRC.

Default state:
phpbb_ckeditor_off.png
After clicking on the "Enable rich-text editor" link:
phpbb_ckeditor_on.png
Some thoughts (just my personal opinion):
  • the initial integration may have some bugs, thus the default state is disabled, the only change in the interface is a gentle link below the textarea
  • some people don't like to be forced to use something new, so another vote for disabling by default
  • once users get used to the editor and will not report any major issues, the default mode can be changed
  • CKEditor needs a cool plugin to edit and insert source code (

Code: Select all

) (in progress)
    [*]The "Source" mode in CKEditor and removing CKEditor from a textarea (calling editor.destroy()) are two different things. Being in "Source" mode means that we are still in CKEditor. In case of a bug with processing BBCodes a safer option would be to have this opportunity to "destroy" CKEditor instance and get back to plain textarea (CKEditor can be enabled later - basically destroying would work like in the [url=http://nightly.ckeditor.com/demo/ajax.html]ajax sample[/url]).[/list]

The ugly link below editor/textarea can be of course changed into e.g. more fancy tabs.[/quote]
    +1 to everything in this post

I'm a bit late >_<
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

AliasM2K

Re: [RFC] WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Post by AliasM2K »

Hi,

I think it would be better to move to CKEditor completely, as CKEditor have a BBCode editor as well as a Rich Text Editor. And, about giving a choice at UCP, I think it is not necessary as swapping between the BBCode editor and Rich Text Editor is as simple as clicking a button. So, why not provide BBCode editor as default, and then switch state to Rich Text Editor when ever the user feels to?

About the preview, it would be better to have a modal pop up previewing the current post. User can then close the modal, make further editions (if required), preview the post again (if required) and submit the post.

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

AliasM2K wrote:...So, why not provide BBCode editor as default, and then switch state to Rich Text Editor when ever the user feels to?
I think it is workt of it to add options to UCP. Or at least save it to cookie and display editor according to that. It would be greatly abbusive to common users to switch to Rich Text Editor any time they refresh page...
AliasM2K wrote:About the preview, it would be better to have a modal pop up previewing the current post. User can then close the modal, make further editions (if required), preview the post again (if required) and submit the post.
I do not consider modal pop-up as the best solution to preview post, because it is not possible to look at the preview and edit post at the same time. As it is now, preview is above the textarea, what helps me to edit all stuff I want at one time (when I forget what I wanted, I can simply scroll up and look it up in preview). According to your suggestion, it would not be possible without clicking preview button again and again...

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

There is no need for an option in the UCP or ACP for this. Simply store in the database which editor the user last used, and then remember that.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

naderman wrote:There is no need for an option in the UCP or ACP for this. Simply store in the database which editor the user last used, and then remember that.
I'd prefer cookies - I'd want to use rich text editor on my computer, but BBCode on my phone.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

AliasM2K

Post by AliasM2K »

naderman wrote:There is no need for an option in the UCP or ACP for this. Simply store in the database which editor the user last used, and then remember that.
+1. That is better!
callumacrae wrote:I'd prefer cookies - I'd want to use rich text editor on my computer, but BBCode on my phone.
I'd prefer using databases as users have the freedom to clear cookies whenever they like... Besides, cookies expire after sometime don't they?

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

AliasM2K wrote: I'd prefer using databases as users have the freedom to clear cookies whenever they like... Besides, cookies expire after sometime don't they?
Cookies can be set to expire an arbitrary amount of time into the future. Say, six years. As long as the user visits your site in the next six years, the cookie data is never lost.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

jsebean

Post by jsebean »

There should be some sort of choice as to which editor is to be shown first before the user chooses, in ACP. Then users can choose between the two and it can be saved in the database. Advantage of using database is if the user switches to a different computer they have their default editor. D
-Jonah

AliasM2K

Post by AliasM2K »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:Cookies can be set to expire an arbitrary amount of time into the future. Say, six years. As long as the user visits your site in the next six years, the cookie data is never lost.
May be, but due to privacy problems, most browsers clear cookies after certain period of time. Hence cookies ARE NOT fool proof! Besides,
jsebean wrote:Advantage of using database is if the user switches to a different computer they have their default editor. D