[RFC] Integrate s9e\TextFormatter

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.2/Rhea branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.2.
Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Re: [RFC] Integrate s9e\TextFormatter

Post by Nicofuma »

So:
  • for now it's good for the backend. We will work later (another PR, but for 3.2 too if possible) on a way to separate definitively the original post and the formatter metadata.
  • for now the way to convert the posts is good, we will work later (another PR, but for 3.2 too if possible) on a way to convert them all as soon as possible (typically a cron job)
  • for the events we will see that when the PR will be rebased and resend against master (see github)
So now, the lasts questions:
  • censor: status?
  • quote: status?
  • code highlighting: status?
  • anything else to discuss?
Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM

JoshyPHP

Post by JoshyPHP »

Censor: the behaviour is comparable to 3.1. It's dynamic and applies to URLs.
Quote: some support for url as per this post. No other BBCode supported.
Code highlighting: none. I recommend using a JavaScript highlighter for that.

Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Post by Nicofuma »

Last call, does someone have anything else to ask or anything to object about the features, do it now.
No Support via PM

aleha

Post by aleha »

This is a pretty major change and quite a few things will depend from it. I have an informative question and not an objective one.
Has it been tested with hhvm?
Surely any hhvm compatibility can be applied/fixed after the merge but I was just wondering.

Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Post by Nicofuma »

it seems to be working on hhvm yes
No Support via PM

aleha

Post by aleha »

Awesome!

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

I think this is a good addition to phpBB. All I had to mention has already been mentioned and answered.

JoshyPHP

Post by JoshyPHP »

aleha wrote:Has it been tested with hhvm?
Yes, it's tested on HHVM. I used to personally test it under HHVM 2.4 to 3.4 back when HHVM was still a bit rough around the edges but since 3.4 HHVM has been so compatible that I don't have to manually test it anymore. Travis runs the test suite and if it broke I'd get an email.

On a related note I added PHP 7 to Travis's build matrix after Nicofuma poked me about it. Right now it makes PCRE segfault for some reason and libc complains about a double free so it'll remain an allowed failure until PHP 7 gets in fighting shape.

JoshyPHP

Post by JoshyPHP »

Nicofuma wrote:for the events we will see that when the PR will be rebased and resend against master (see github)
Yo! Before you merge this PR I'd like to add the events I was talking about. As soon as the events are in I can work with extension authors to make their extensions compatible with both 3.1 and 3.2.

There are up to 8 events opportunities: before/after configuration/parsing/unparsing/rendering. Six of them somewhat overlap with the existing generate_text_for_* events and are not strictly necessary, although it's a bit awkward for an extension to check whether it's running on 3.1 or 3.2. The other two (before/after configuration) may be essential to properly assure compatibility with both versions in some extensions.

Edit: I've added the core.text_formatter_s9e_configure_before and core.text_formatter_s9e_configure_after events in this commit. Please check it out and confirm it's alright.

JoshyPHP

Post by JoshyPHP »

I have worked a bit on porting the Advanced BBCode Box extension to 3.2. Extensions do indeed require events to work properly. Probably one before parsing and one before rendering.