Update method for using Icons

These RFCs were either rejected or have been replaced by an alternative proposal. They will not be included in phpBB.
keith10456

Re: Update method for using Icons

Post by keith10456 »

Cool... 8-)

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

aleha wrote:Icons that also need to be updated are those big circle icons at the left of the Topic title. They seem to be kinda blurry.

These icons are clickable if you have unread posts on the topic, and take you to the last unread post.
But also the small icons appear and are clickable if you have unread posts on the topic.
Maybe this should change because we have two icons next to each other for the same usage.
https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/2794
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

aleha wrote:Icons that also need to be updated are those big circle icons at the left of the Topic title. They seem to be kinda blurry.

These icons are clickable if you have unread posts on the topic, and take you to the last unread post.
But also the small icons appear and are clickable if you have unread posts on the topic.
Maybe this should change because we have two icons next to each other for the same usage.
Yeah, please kill those icons. We don't need the little ones.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

I think it was being kept there to ease users into the change. The large icon was never clickable before so eliminating the familiarity of the recent posts icon was frowned upon. You all know the existence of the new click location but those that have not been on here do not, at all.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

main point was not really the clicking. It was that the icons themselves be better quality, and sprite based which is where the pr comes in
imageset.png
imageset.png (12.16 KiB) Viewed 24444 times
PSD: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l5dq1kdmx7486zt/imageset.psd
Demo: http://12911.midaym.com/viewforum.php?f ... 2bbc4985cc
Ticket: https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-12911

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

Please don't replace the current hot topic icons. The current ones are 'calm', whereas the jumpy icons seem very annoying.

Can't we keep the 4 animations out of the sprite until we find a better solution?

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Louis7777 wrote:Please don't replace the current hot topic icons. The current ones are 'calm', whereas the jumpy icons seem very annoying.

Can't we keep the 4 animations out of the sprite until we find a better solution?
It might be less calm for you but it's fine for me quite used to it as that's how my Mac handles things.

It really needs changed as this is a precursor to retina. The real question is weather it needs animated and if so how do we want to animate it.

I am open to suggestions

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

hanakin wrote: It really needs changed
Why? What's exactly the problem with the current animations?

aleha

Post by aleha »

I too, do not like the jumping icons. They are distractive :(

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Louis7777 wrote:
hanakin wrote: It really needs changed
Why? What's exactly the problem with the current animations?
the problem is they are animated gifs which are rigid and load slow, they need to be updated for an improved quality as they are blurry as hell. They need to allow for retina which is complicated. They can not be put into the spite making one if not two additional server requests.

The current animation is a place holder anyway like I stated I just needed to get something in place. I have tweaked it to make it more subtle as suggested so it nows has a subtle yellow pulse animation
Untitled-1.png
Untitled-1.png (35.73 KiB) Viewed 24343 times