Genders

These RFCs were either rejected or have been replaced by an alternative proposal. They will not be included in phpBB.
Sumanai

Re: Genders

Post by Sumanai »

Pony99CA wrote:You misunderstood.
Agreed.
AlexTuesday wrote: I hate having to modify codes that force your users into male or female categories, when many don't fall into those gender identities.
Option "Not selected" solves this problem. It will be the default, and the user can optionally select a male or female.
Nobody needs to be forced to choose a particular gender.
Sorry for my English.

AlexTuesday

Post by AlexTuesday »

Sumanai wrote:
AlexTuesday wrote: I hate having to modify codes that force your users into male or female categories, when many don't fall into those gender identities.
Option "Not selected" solves this problem. It will be the default, and the user can optionally select a male or female.
Nobody needs to be forced to choose a particular gender.
Yes, but I don't identify as 'none selected'. I'll explain it this way. Say you're male. You use male pronouns, and you certainly aren't gender neutral or female. But the places that you post and spend time say you need to identity as either genderneutral, female, or unspecified. If you choose gender neutral, people will be using the wrong pronouns and misgendering you. If you choose female, that's the same problem. If you go with unspecified, people are going to shuffle you into the largest category they've got on assumption - so female in this case- and every single time you get misguidered, you're going to have to correct people. Either way you go, even if it won't effect your experience that much, you'll still get more and more frustrated over time. And, chances are, being male, you know other males, and they probably aren't going to join a forum they know you've had issues with. Obviously, it might not matter as much on a support forum, but for those of us building recreational boards, where people spend a lot of their time, the primary thing you need to focus on as an admin is keeping your members content and satisfied as themselves. They want to build friendships, and generally, people know the genders of each other's friends.

I choose phpbb for the fact that it didn't ship with genders and I had the options to add the genders of people I know - which are very ranged - without having to fight the software for it. I value my ability to build an easy identity with my users - and them with me - more then I value software loyalty. It doesn't matter to 90% of people because they aren't transgender, and don't know trans* people, and don't have to deal with the problem. People asked for comments, that's mine. I have to struggle with being misgendered every day just to be who I am, I'm not going to do that online too. My opinion; I would prefer with phpBB genders would be a custom profile field only feature.

Sumanai

Post by Sumanai »

In the presence of built-in male and female gender add the rest will be easier, although it will require you to the basic knowledge of PHP.
In any case, this feature can be turned off and you can replace it with a custom profile field.
I believe that to deny the opportunity to choose their gender 99% of the people, allowing them to avoid the ambiguous situations, for the sake of 1% transgender wrong.
Sorry for my English.

AlexTuesday

Post by AlexTuesday »

Sumanai wrote:In the presence of built-in male and female gender add the rest will be easier, although it will require you to the basic knowledge of PHP.
In any case, this feature can be turned off and you can replace it with a custom profile field.
I believe that to deny the opportunity to choose their gender 99% of the people, allowing them to avoid the ambiguous situations, for the sake of 1% transgender wrong.
If the feature could be completely turned off and replaced with a custom profile field, I would be okay with that. I could add it through code as long as it is easy. I've dealt with plenty of code that references and sends gender varieties through enough files that adding another option - let alone, say, five options - becomes rather tedious and prone to conflict and errors.

Your numbers are a bit off - statistics have shown approximately 1 in 10 people are a part of the LGBT community. And the option isn't denied - it's just not build in. It took all of two minutes for me to add genders to my current forum - heck, I spent longer alphabetizing everything then I did actually setting up the option. I don't see that doesn't work just fine.

Sumanai

Post by Sumanai »

AlexTuesday wrote:If the feature could be completely turned off and replaced with a custom profile field, I would be okay with that.
Ok, if the function will be switched off, no one will mind.
AlexTuesday wrote:I've dealt with plenty of code that references and sends gender varieties through enough files that adding another option - let alone, say, five options - becomes rather tedious and prone to conflict and errors.
This problem is a particular implementation. For phpBB to write so that there were no problems during the expansion.
AlexTuesday wrote: I don't see that doesn't work just fine.
Problem custom profile field that this field is not associated with the engine.
In my, Russian language adopted different treatment for different sexes. For example, when citing "Sumanai wrote:" you need to write in Russian "Sumanai писал:" for male and female for "Sumanai писала:". Now construction is used "Sumanai писал(а):" that looks awkward.
Sorry for my English.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

Just to sum this up. We won't implement that for now.
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM