Anti All Uppercase Letters

These RFCs were either rejected or have been replaced by an alternative proposal. They will not be included in phpBB.
Ger

Re: [RFC] Anti All Uppercase Letters

Post by Ger »

On many boards, abbreviations and acronyms are used that should be all uppercase. By integrating something like this you might prevent abuse, but at the same time annoy people that use uppercase for a valid reason.

For instance: in The Netherlands all school systems are acronyms: IVBO, VMBO, HAVO, VWO, HTS, MTS, MBO, HBO, TU... Everyone knows what they mean so nobody will write them all out. So on a board with teenagers discussing about which school system they should choose, you'll have ull ugly topic titles.

This is just one simple case, but it also goes for loads of other subjects (ASP/PHP, W123/W124 (mercedes types) ...)

Last edited by Ger on Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

McKristensen

Post by McKristensen »

callumacrae wrote:
McKristensen wrote:
callumacrae wrote:"[RFC] WYSIWYG"

Perfectly valid title. If someone is abusing capitals, get a moderator to deal with them.
Can't see how '[RFC] WYSIWYG' standing alone can be a valid title. This 'WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor' or this '[RFC] WYSIWYG editor' might, but there it's not all uppercase. The only example I can find on this board is '[RFC] LESS CSS' and if you ask me that should have been '[RFC] Less CSS'
You should probably complain to the LESS developers about that. It is correct as it stands.
Arh now I didn't read the topic only the title and haven't heard about LESS CSS.
I see the trouble this can make, just reject it

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

McKristensen wrote:

Perfectly valid title. If someone is abusing capitals, get a moderator to deal with them.
Can't see how '[RFC] WYSIWYG' standing alone can be a valid title. This 'WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor' or this '[RFC] WYSIWYG editor' might, but there it's not all uppercase. The only example I can find on this board is '[RFC] LESS CSS' and if you ask me that should have been '[RFC] Less CSS'
LESS is a Javascript CSS extension. The RFC isn't for using less (i.e. not as much) CSS, but rather for using the LESS extension for CSS. So that topic title is correct.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Jessica. wrote:+1 to extension.

Same here.

McKristensen

Post by McKristensen »

imkingdavid wrote:
McKristensen wrote:

LESS is a Javascript CSS extension. The RFC isn't for using less (i.e. not as much) CSS, but rather for using the LESS extension for CSS. So that topic title is correct.
Did you read what wrote just before you?

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Re: Anti All Uppercase Letters

Post by DavidIQ »

Moving to rejected RFCs.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

McKristensen wrote:
imkingdavid wrote:
McKristensen wrote:

Did you read what wrote just before you?
(No, sorry I missed that because I didn't realize I wasn't on the last page of posts. :oops:)
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.