[Rejected] Removal of subsilver2 in 3.1

These RFCs were either rejected or have been replaced by an alternative proposal. They will not be included in phpBB.

Remove subsilver2?

Yes, remove it completely
69%
Just remove it from the package, but provide official download and support for 3.1
24%
Other / Undecided
7%

Total votes: 71

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Re: Removal of subsilver2 in 3.1

Post by DavidIQ »

FeyFre wrote:I'm who against of removal of ss2
subsilver2 will be removed for sure by 3.2 and minimally supported in 3.1. The revival of this topic does not change that so you should start transitioning yourself to prosilver or some other prosilver based style.
FeyFre wrote:By the way, my mpbile phone's browser shows forum on subsilver2 better, on prosilver - does not show at all. So I forced to get rid of phpbb3 because it cannot be used for mobile devices? -1 user here.
Not sure what mobile phone you're using but all of the ones I've had have had no issues displaying a prosilver based style at all.
FeyFre wrote:Who does accepts MODs w/o subsilver2? Who develops MODs w/o mods w/o subsilver2? Punish them, not us - users of/developers for ss2.
We've never required nor will we ever require MOD authors to provide support for subsilver2 in their MODs.
FeyFre wrote:Is is NOT insinuations it is direct questions: So developers agreed that they are a half-developers? That they do what they want but not what they must to do? Why not to develop Ajax subsystem which does not cares where to to be integrated?
I don't think you understand how AJAX works if you think this is true. It really should not matter what style you're using. However subsilver2 was not modified to work with AJAX. You could technically do the modifications to the style and get it to work with it but due to the tabular format some of it would be a tad difficult to adapt. That doesn't make them half developers. That just means they are following through on the proposed plan.

RidhaRezzag

Re: [Rejected] Removal of subsilver2 in 3.1

Post by RidhaRezzag »

i wont vote its one sided vote we need the choice... keep it ....so i can vote i love subsilver its crafty wonderful look far away better than prosilver members love it

KnocksX

Post by KnocksX »

RidhaRezzag wrote: i love subsilver its crafty wonderful look far away better than prosilver members love it
Members in Amish communities love their horses and carriages too. But the rest of the world has kind of moved on to cars and other forms of transport.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

We've already decided to maintain it for 3.1 but remove it from the downloads package.

BTRFISHING

Post by BTRFISHING »

Believe it or not we use subsilver2, I would hate to not have the option to stick with it in 3.1

Good decision IMO to keep it

bonelifer
Community Team
Community Team

Post by bonelifer »

Personally I think something that like this would be better going forward: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/subsilver3
William Jacoby - Community Team
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .

BTRFISHING

Post by BTRFISHING »

BTRFISHING wrote:Believe it or not we use subsilver2, I would hate to not have the option to stick with it in 3.1

Good decision IMO to keep it
I should probably go a bit further and ask that subsilver2 be updated so that it's responsive as prosilver is on this board.

The same idea for the menu and columns should apply. I.e. forumlist_body = on smaller screen sizes drop "Topics" and "Posts" columns, on even smaller sizes drop the "Last Post" column. Apply these functions across the board so that it's fully responsive and cooperative on all screen sizes.

Of course for the menu's can be condensed into a drop down triggered by the three lines symbol ( whatever that is called )

As mentioned previously, I plan to continuing customizing subsilver2 and would be disappointed if it were dropped. For me it's much easier to customize as it's more basic which is exactly what I want when creating a theme.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Another change I'd like to see made, although kind of unrelated, would be to change the subsilver2 UCP. I think the tabs running horizontal are much more organized and easily digested. I think subsilver2's UCP is confusing to people who aren't familiar with forums... just my input, I'd love to see this changed to resemble prosilver.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Subsilver2 isn't going to be updated. If you wish to have the new features in prosilver but the look of subsilver, you'll want try subsilver3 or something similar.

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

subsilver2 exists only to ease the transition from phpBB2 to phpBB3. That took place 8 years ago.

subsilver2 HTML code is based on 1990's coding practices, is totally invalid (it fails endlessly in HTML validation tests in phpBB 3.1) and is ugly (to anyone accustomed to Prosilver).

Websites like this: http://www.retrology.fm I'm sure are easier to customize the code too, but that doesn't mean it should stick around.

It's time for those still using subsilver2 to finally try moving on (it's been 8 years!).
Has an irascible disposition.

DarkBeing

Post by DarkBeing »

EXreaction wrote:Subsilver2 isn't going to be updated. If you wish to have the new features in prosilver but the look of subsilver, you'll want try subsilver3 or something similar.
+1