[RFC|Rejected] Announcement Feed

These RFCs were either rejected or have been replaced by an alternative proposal. They will not be included in phpBB.
bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Re: [RFC] Announcement Feed

Post by bantu »

imkingdavid wrote:
Oleg wrote:Ideally this should be an extension that admins opt-in into.
Fair enough. I just figured from the amount of support I had received that it might be a nice addition.
It took a while until I realised it. Sorry for wasting your time. But maybe you can also take the suggestions and make an extension for 3.1 out of it. :)

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

bantu wrote:
imkingdavid wrote:
Fair enough. I just figured from the amount of support I had received that it might be a nice addition.
It took a while until I realised it. Sorry for wasting your time. But maybe you can also take the suggestions and make an extension for 3.1 out of it. :)
No worries; it didn't take long at all to adapt the MOD code into the code base. I'll most likely continue it for 3.1 when that comes out.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Personally I think this would be a good thing to display on the ACP (although not at the top). It would certainly allow us to engage the phpBB community more than we currently do. However I would probably simply implement this through an iframe rather than loading it and outputting it in the template. What do you guys think about that?

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

You cannot delete a pull request, but you can close it. Use the button on the bottom.
naderman wrote:Personally I think this would be a good thing to display on the ACP (although not at the top). It would certainly allow us to engage the phpBB community more than we currently do. However I would probably simply implement this through an iframe rather than loading it and outputting it in the template. What do you guys think about that?
I like the iframe approach if it can be made to look reasonably well because then we're not injecting code from the internet on our pages. But then phpbb.com/whoever provides announcements has urls to installations via referer headers. Hmm.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Well if you don't want phpbb.com to get a referer header, then don't click the links. Besides, is the referer of an iframe link even the parent window and not the iframe url itself?

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

imkingdavid wrote:
Fair enough. I just figured from the amount of support I had received that it might be a nice addition. At least I got some more experience with the coding guidelines and using git and such. How do I delete a pull request?
Just close it (theres a big button beside the comment form)
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

naderman wrote:Well if you don't want phpbb.com to get a referer header, then don't click the links. Besides, is the referer of an iframe link even the parent window and not the iframe url itself?
I think so yes, I will need to do some testing on that one as I am not 100% sure on it.

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

What is the status on this? GitHub pull request was closed, but re-opened by David. Discussion here sounds like a down vote? Was there some back-channel discussion, or is this considered rejected?
A_Jelly_Doughnut

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:What is the status on this? GitHub pull request was closed, but re-opened by David. Discussion here sounds like a down vote? Was there some back-channel discussion, or is this considered rejected?
Sorry must have accidentally clicked reopen. I'll re-close it.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Oleg

Re: [RFC|Rejected] Announcement Feed

Post by Oleg »

Marking rejected per previous post.