[RFC] Email to Moderators on Arrival of New Messages in the Queue

These RFCs were either rejected or have been replaced by an alternative proposal. They will not be included in phpBB.
imkingdavid

Re: [RFC] Email to Moderators on Arrival of New Messages in the Queue

Post by imkingdavid »

The question is whether this should simply be a modification to the current subscription system (i.e. make it notify subscribed moderators when a non-approved post is posted, and everyone else when the post is approved) or to add a new option that notifies anyone with post approval moderator permissions in a given forum when a post is posted there.

I would personally go for the latter, as I don't think moderators should be able to choose which forums for which they should be notified; if they are moderators of a given forum, they should be notified.
-------------

By the way, I want to point out that there is fairly recent progress on a feature to add moderator action alerts in the board header (adapted from this MOD) that is related in that it increases awareness of items requiring a moderator's attention, though it does not address this specific email notification issue.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

CDLLT

Post by CDLLT »

is this mod available yet? does anyone know where I can get it? I need it badly :( :( :(

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

As he mentions in his post, it already exists as a mod: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... or_needed/

This has been replaced with notifications, so I'm moving this to rejected.
viewtopic.php?f=108&t=42829

Jarekczek

Post by Jarekczek »

I am desiring this feature for years. I had a workaround script run through cron, but now I'm on a server without cron access. So I came up with another workaround:

I modify posting.php from phpbb 3.0.9:

1. at top, after includes:

Code: Select all

include_once($phpbb_root_path . 'includes/functions_messenger.' . $phpEx);
2. after line 1139 (with "$redirect_url = submit_post("):

Code: Select all

// notify about new post, todo: only when approval needed
$messenger = new messenger();
$messenger->template('privmsg_notify');
$messenger->to('my@email.address');
$messenger->cc('my@second.email.address');
$messenger->send();
$messenger->save_queue();
For this to work I had also to set email package size in email settings to 0.

This is a dumb starting point, a notification of all posts, without any reasonable content in the email. But now I'm free of watching my almost abandoned forum. The next step would be moving this to a place where approval is needed.

themantheycallcris

Post by themantheycallcris »

This is now live in an individual's own notification settings. From what I've seen if they are a moderator then they will have a section for Moderator Notifications. Email appears to be off by default, so those moderators will just have to log in and change that setting to be checked.