[RFC] Staggered Database Restore (like bigdump)

These RFCs were either rejected or have been replaced by an alternative proposal. They will not be included in phpBB.
EXreaction

Re: [RFC] Staggered Database Restore (like bigdump)

Post by EXreaction »

Definitely will not happen for 3.1.

phpBB is not tool to do this with, the tools included with MySQL or whatever dbal you wish to use is much better than anything we could write.

If you do not want to or know how to restore it yourself, you host will do it for you (if they don't, they are not a host worth having).

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

FWIW, I'd also be all for removing the backup/restore entirely from phpBB; it's a large chunk code with no tests against it and who knows if it even works on anything besides MySQL...

John P

Post by John P »

Reading this it's better deleting this option instead of giving hope to have a good backup for users

Kamahl19

Post by Kamahl19 »

I have experienced some problem with Exporting DB few years ago on phpbb3 and since then, I never used it again. I just dont trust it. There are other great tools.

Mess

Post by Mess »

EXreaction wrote:FWIW, I'd also be all for removing the backup/restore entirely from phpBB; it's a large chunk code with no tests against it and who knows if it even works on anything besides MySQL...
+1

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

There are plans (far away thou) to allow exporting the db as json files and allow restoring it from json files.
This would allow cross db moving from one dbms to another one.
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Couldn't you implement another backup/restore system as an ACP extension?

Or, maybe have backup/restore plug-ins (like CAPTCHA and Search backend plug-ins) that allow the user to drop in other systems. phpBB would ship with plug-ins for the current system, of course.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Different systems to backup the database would not be useful. Either we have one that is working or not.

As far as exporting it into some other format, I would be against it if that is custom phpBB code that we must maintain. If it is done by some library, then great, but the more tools we try to support the more poorly we can support any individual tool (and database maintenance is a difficult subject field when you try and support so many backends like we do).

Kamahl19

Post by Kamahl19 »

Maybe you might take a look on http://www.adminer.org , developed by one of the php.net documentation author, google and FB developer.