[RFC|Rejected] Removal of subsilver2

These RFCs were either rejected or have been replaced by an alternative proposal. They will not be included in phpBB.
4seven
I've been banned

Re: [RFC|Accepted] Removal of subsilver2

Post by 4seven »

ah, seems to be i misunderstood some verbalizations in the posts on last site above.
so i take from your words, that it is planned for sub2 to stay alive, with a new template-style as a port of the old style.

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

4seven wrote:ah, seems to be i misunderstood some verbalizations in the posts on last site above.
so i take from your words, that it is planned for sub2 to stay alive, with a new template-style as a port of the old style.
No. subsilver2 won't change much (obviously it will get the fixes and features as necessary). The major difference is that it will not be included in the phpBB package.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

4seven
I've been banned

Post by 4seven »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:The major difference is that it will not be included in the phpBB package.
ok, not included, but with support by phpbb.com with given code-changes, if a template- /major-update appears?

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Yes, that's correct.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

4seven
I've been banned

Post by 4seven »

thx for information..

Brandon05

Post by Brandon05 »

Will there be a replacement for this style or will your focus be with prosilver only?

I am sure that there will be a replacement of prosilver when 4.0 arrives.
Brandon Kaylor
No Support via PM - Board Rules - Style Support & Discussion

Latest Blog Post: Unofficial phpBB iPhone/iPod Wallpapers

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Marshalrusty »

Brandon05 wrote:Will there be a replacement for this style or will your focus be with prosilver only?

I am sure that there will be a replacement of prosilver when 4.0 arrives.
The release of 4.0 is far enough away that we could neither confirm nor deny this.

The goal is to focus more on prosilver.

Christy

Question

Post by Christy »

Now that in 3.1 Subsilver2 won't be shipped will it still be updated and will style updates still be released like they currently are? What I mean is will the style updates still be released?

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

rxu wrote:
Marshalrusty wrote:I am still against the idea of dropping support for a style that is used by a large portion of the community. Part of the idea of 3.1 (as opposed to 4.0) is that a large portion of backwards compatibility is maintained.
In this case we can do the following. Keep the decision of dropping subsilver2 from phpBB package but continue maintaining of subsilver2 to be up to date with 3.1 latest code. That means official support won't be dropped and subsilver2 code changes will be provided for 3.1.x releases.
The benefits of this variant I see:
  • We keep only prosilver in phpBB package, further development will be kept for this style only;
  • By leaving only prosilver in phpBB package we increase using of it for new installations;
  • We keep official support and updates for userbase using subsilver2 and leave them satisfied;
  • With the points above we provide preparation for users to smooth migration to the future phpBB 4.0.
  • etc.

Christy

Post by Christy »

Thanks DavidIQ, I must have missed that while reading though!