[RFC] Quote image as thumbnail

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.

Do you think agree with the suggestion?

Yes
61%
Nah
39%

Total votes: 28

Pony99CA

Re: [RFC] Quote image as thumbnail

Post by Pony99CA »

Louis7777 wrote:
Khaos-Rage wrote: Why would anyone want to have to click an image to see it at full size?
No one would. It's at full size in the original post.
The original post could be on a previous page, and perhaps posted a long time ago. People who have read the topic will be taken to new posts, not the original, so clicking a thumbnail could well be easier than finding the original post.

I think that this seems like a reasonable idea -- as long as there's the option to view it full-size if desired.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Yes David, i know it gets automatically scaled down. I made that very clear in my previous posts. The thing is, that the quoted image, at its entire scaled level, is too large still and multiple scroll timing... Whats so unclear ?

@Pony99CA, Yes, i think it is a good idea to show the image at the full scale if it is being clicked on the thumbnail. That way everyone is happy.
Previous user: TheKiller

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Let me provide an example on how the quoting behaves like......

Original image:

Quoted image:
Quoted resized image to 200px:
As you may see....... the normally quoted image is simply too large.... Its already been seen the first time, so why display it at such a large scale when we can simply scale it to make it smaller while it still retains the information of the image...?

Edit:Replaced image url, as the domain got parked.
Last edited by Dragosvr92 on Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Previous user: TheKiller

Mess

Post by Mess »

Dragosvr92 wrote:Let me provide an example on how the quoting behaves like......

Original image:

Quoted image:
Quoted resized image to 200px:
As you may see....... the normally quoted image is simply too large.... Its already been seen the first time, so why display it at such a large scale when we can simply scale it to make it smaller while it still retains the information of the image...?
In my opinion the quoted image should be scaled down. And I do think it should be the default behavior of phpBB.
Having the full size image several times in a row really messes up discussion.

It will never be a problem for me directly, because I can (and will) easily get the change via editing the template or through an extension.

Quoted above post to illustrate.

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

Pony99CA wrote:
Louis7777 wrote:
Khaos-Rage wrote: Why would anyone want to have to click an image to see it at full size?
The original post could be on a previous page, and perhaps posted a long time ago. People who have read the topic will be taken to new posts, not the original, so clicking a thumbnail could well be easier than finding the original post.
Yeah and... I agree?

The person that I quoted was saying that no one would want to click a thumbnail in a quote to see the full image.

And I was saying - without dismissing the thumbnail in quote idea - that if one wants to see the full size of it, it's already full at the original post.

And as for what you said about the original post being on previous pages, well, there's this RFC: viewtopic.php?t=42855

Anyhow, we never knew from which post the text came from so why make a fuss about the image now.
Pony99CA wrote:I think that this seems like a reasonable idea -- as long as there's the option to view it full-size if desired.
See my previous posts, before the one that you quoted. I already agree with the idea.
Mess wrote: It will never be a problem for me directly, because I can (and will) easily get the change via editing the template or through an extension.
You would only need to add a line in the CSS.

leschek

Post by leschek »

Dragosvr92 wrote:The thing is, that the quoted image, at its entire scaled level, is too large still and multiple scroll timing... Whats so unclear ?
Another solution would be expand and collapse buttons (or links) in quote.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Even other solution is to make a child theme of prosilver that adds that.
Seriously... Make it an extension or a derived theme, don't make it mandatory.

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

brunoais wrote:Even other solution is to make a child theme of prosilver that adds that.
Adding it for other themes, yes.

But an extension? For what is roughly 30 characters - a one line of CSS?

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Louis7777 wrote:
brunoais wrote:Even other solution is to make a child theme of prosilver that adds that.
Adding it for other themes, yes.

But an extension? For what is roughly 30 characters - a one line of CSS?
If not a theme, an extension, yes.
A very simple one but an extension indeed.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Louis7777 wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:
Louis7777 wrote:
Yeah and... I agree?
Yes, I didn't go back and read all of your posts, so I didn't remember which side you were on. I'm glad that you agree with the idea, but....
Louis7777 wrote:The person that I quoted was saying that no one would want to click a thumbnail in a quote to see the full image.

And I was saying - without dismissing the thumbnail in quote idea - that if one wants to see the full size of it, it's already full at the original post.
And I was saying that the full-size version in the original post might not be on the page that you're on, so people might well want to click the image to see the original size. You're the one who said that nobody would want to click to see the full size.
Louis7777 wrote:And as for what you said about the original post being on previous pages, well, there's this RFC: viewtopic.php?t=42855
While I love the "quote with link to original post" idea, that still doesn't solve the problem. Suppose user A quotes the OP, then user B quotes user A and then user C quotes user B and then user D quotes user C and you have a quote limit of three. The link in user D's post goes to user C's post (which has a reduced size image) and none of the other quotes links to the OP's post, either. So even that doesn't obviate the need for a click-for-full-size option.

Even assuming that we still have a link to the original post, clicking that link takes you to another page, which requires longer to load than just clicking the image.

And, of course, that RFC hasn't been implemented yet. This suggestion sounds like it could be done in minutes, unlike that RFC.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.