[RFC] Quote image as thumbnail

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.

Do you think agree with the suggestion?

Yes
61%
Nah
39%

Total votes: 28

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Re: [RFC] Quote image as thumbnail

Post by MattF »

Louis7777 wrote:+1

Because it's only a style change, it's a really small one, and it can be turned on/off by commenting out the CSS.
So change phpBB not because its good or bad, just because it's easy...And then expect users to disable this global and subjective change by hacking core files manually, which goes completely against how phpBB is intended to be used? That makes sense.

The precedent this RFC sets is that somebody could come along and demand Prosilver be turned from blue into pink. Because imposing what one person wants on everybody who will use this product is infinitely smarter than making it an opt-in enhancement (as a style or extension) that would allow phpBB to be enjoyed by everyone in either form that they prefer...right?

Honestly the OP could have taken the 10 minutes to make this into an extension and had it up in running on their board and anybody else into this could be running it by now too.

This RFC speaks to the very point of the extension system, and what it is there for.

By the way, did I mention how this change will not play well with extensions that already manipulate images in posts.
Has an irascible disposition.

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

Here it is. As an extension. Simple. Now people that like this concept can use it, and people that don't can move on.

Also posted in the Ext Requests forum https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... #p13896501
Attachments
quotethumbnails.zip
(8.83 KiB) Downloaded 783 times
Has an irascible disposition.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

It was repeatedly explained here why this change is useful to be in the core. I cannot imagine anyone wanting to disable the feature.

If users do want to disable it or change the value, they can do it. But the point of all this is reduce the image size for the explained reasons.
I dont believe phpbb has a acp option to change every single css value. We dont have an option to change the forum width for example either because it is only a style feature which everyone adjusts to their needs from the css files themselves. phpbb already has too many permissions.

You keep saying im imposing/forcing this.. i am not sticking it on anyones throat. I merely submitted a normal RFC and i am waiting for users to discuss and decide if they accept or dismiss it......... You are trying to kill that faster without any certain facts, other than you dont like it.

If you got used to do something the rough way it doesnt mean its good for everybody else.
An example, if you got used to sleep all your life on a floor, adapting to sleep in a bed gets uncomfortable.

Thats how i see people that ould want to disable this once its implemented.
Previous user: TheKiller

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

VSE wrote: So change phpBB not because its good or bad, just because it's easy...And then expect users to disable this global and subjective change by hacking core files manually, which goes completely against how phpBB is intended to be used? That makes sense.
It's only CSS. One line actually. And also this:
Dragosvr92 wrote:It was repeatedly explained here why this change is useful to be in the core.

Khaos-Rage

Post by Khaos-Rage »

Dragosvr92 wrote:I cannot imagine anyone wanting to disable the feature.
I would like to point out that 4 people voted no and 11 people doesn't a statistical accurate poll of community opinions make. So leave it as is and if someone needs it, they can install the extension. I prefer the flexibility and responsiveness of the current method.

Also as a side note vBulletin, and Invision currently do it the way phpBB does, no max-height. Full image scaled to fit in quote box.
Dragosvr92 wrote:If you got used to do something the rough way it doesnt mean its good for everybody else.
An example, if you got used to sleep all your life on a floor, adapting to sleep in a bed gets uncomfortable.
It seems the vB, Invision, and phpBB all do it this way so it so it must be pretty comfortable.

Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil »

+1 for this as an idea. On my forums, people tend to post many large images in a row and some nutter always likes to quote the whole post including the images again, even when on the same page, even when just after the initial post! I find it annoying having to scroll through the images again when the text could have quoted on it's own.

So for me, I like the idea...Goes off to have a look at the extension.

James N

Post by James N »

DavidIQ wrote:I have to agree with those against this as I don't really see the point. When you quote a post with an image the image is automatically scaled down because there is less space for it. Quote it multiple times and the image just keeps getting automatically scaled down. Setting an arbitrary min or max width or height seems like a step backwards from the flexibility we already have.
Long URL's are shortened when posted 'in the raw' to make the page look a lot neater.

Having quoted images appear as thumbnails achieves much the same in that the quoted post looks a whole lot neater, but has the photo as a reference to refer to in the post it is quoted in.

The alternatives (ie, full size image or no image in the quote) either looks untidy or makes the reply nonsensical as there is no image to refer to.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

James N wrote:The alternatives (ie, full size image or no image in the quote) either looks untidy or makes the reply nonsensical as there is no image to refer to.
But neither one of these alternatives is what's happening now and obviously not something we would want to pursue. As far as URL shortening goes it does happen but a long URL has more probability of breaking the page format than an image that flexes with the browser window size, which is a proportionally smaller image when it is quoted over and over.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

DavidIQ wrote:
James N wrote:The alternatives (ie, full size image or no image in the quote) either looks untidy or makes the reply nonsensical as there is no image to refer to.
But neither one of these alternatives is what's happening now and obviously not something we would want to pursue. As far as URL shortening goes it does happen but a long URL has more probability of breaking the page format than an image that flexes with the browser window size, which is a proportionally smaller image when it is quoted over and over.
When James said "full size", replace that with "as large as will fit". Now don't you think that the image getting progressively smaller will look untidy?

However, if what VSE said was correct about this change affecting other extensions that manipulate images in posts (maybe he should have lead with that instead of the snarky parts), that might be a good reason not to implement it. Or you could view it as those extensions don't play well with this one. It all depends which one you install first, I suppose. ;)

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

James N

Post by James N »

Thanks Steve, thats exactly what I was trying to describe.

Nesting photos that get gradually smaller and smaller (as they are resized to the max width available) looks really messy.

Having quoted images appear as thumbnails (in my case I have then set at 100pix) if far neater, easier on the eye, and takes up less space on the monitor.

Now I know how to do it easily, its a no brainer to me.