[RFC] Contact-us needs the anti-spam-plugin integrated

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
nachtelb

[RFC] Contact-us needs the anti-spam-plugin integrated

Post by nachtelb »

The Contac-us-page should have the anti-spam-plugin integrated. Like writing a guest-article. I dont like the new spammails directly from the contact-us-page but i like the new Page. Its more often used by my users than i had expected.

RMcGirr83

Re: [RFC] Contact-us needs the anti-spam-plugin integrated

Post by RMcGirr83 »

This has already been talked to death
Nicofuma wrote:I said before, one purpose of this form is to able to contact the board admin if you can't solve the captcha. So it can't be disabled for the guest and it can't be protected by a captcha.

Before the admin address email was exposed in this case so it was worse...
https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... 91#p269691
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money

nachtelb

Post by nachtelb »

Thank you for the link. I searched for existing links in RFC-Forum and didnt find anything.

I understand the position of nicofuma, but the alternative would be to deactivate the form. Really helpful?

My users dont contact me because of the captcha (because i use Q/A). They contact me: "Oh, i forgot my username, please help me" and similar things.
Why are admins patronized about their decisions? Dont you think i could decide about the use of a anti-spam-tool for my form on my own?
Everything that is "already been talked to death" only means, the userbase (aehm adminbase :-) ) is splitted and it would be better to have an alternative.

I think not much admins will leave this thing as it is and accept to daily delete all those crazy spam. If they go the easy way, they just deactivate it and nobody is helped any more...

Why do admins have to hack this form (no, you should not hack, we have extensions) or have to install a extension (we will provide you with events in this form (crazy - isnt it?) to protect themselve from being spammed?

Is it really to much, to ask about "Activate anti-spam in form" in the backend and to leave this decision to the admin? Not much problem to give nicofumas advice to the admin by activation: "Users with captcha-problems will get no help!".

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

+1 for captcha in contact page. it is necessary. many guest have to contact with admin. we can see in many CMS and other forums system use this.
it is not a new feature for 3.2 i think it is a bug in 3.1 and must be solve immediately.

remember that the users usually send PM for admin or moderators but guests can not do that. so Contact page usually use for guests. ;)

John P

Post by John P »

+1 admins are getting mad about this form and disable it

muhclaren

Post by muhclaren »

+1

Disabled my contact page because of spam...

Guess the users having trouble with captcha (so far, zero problems ever) will be out of luck, as will everyone else needing the contact form.

aleha

Post by aleha »

+1

Elsensee
Former Team Member

Post by Elsensee »

The issue is really just the captcha I think. People, who just can't read the captcha have no way to contact the board administration then and we can't do that.

I don't know if Q&A captcha would be okay, but if it is, we should think about that.

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

Elsensee wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:03 pm The issue is really just the captcha I think. People, who just can't read the captcha have no way to contact the board administration then and we can't do that.

I don't know if Q&A captcha would be okay, but if it is, we should think about that.
There is nothing to think about. The contact form needs a captcha.

Maybe just give the admin the option to enable/disable it? In other words, allow the admin to decide if he's ok with some users not being able to read the captcha, rather than having to disable the contact form because of spambots.