Enable/Disable - signatures shown to guests

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
mrgtb

Enable/Disable - signatures shown to guests

Post by mrgtb »

How about adding the option in admin cp to either show members signatures to guest, or not. And it covering both signature shown in profile and in posts. I was going to suggest just having it for posts, but if it also works hiding it in profiles as well from guests, then that would help avoid spammers being less inclined to join the forum knowing guests cannot see any signature link they use if (enabled to be hidden from guests) in both areas.

A simple "Enable/Disable" guests being able to view signatures option. So at least those who prefer to still show signature links to guests have that option.

Dragosvr92

Re: Enable/Disable - signatures shown to guests

Post by Dragosvr92 »

I agree with your suggestion.

The option should be a group permission.
Add a "Can see signatures" group permission under the "Can use signatures" permission. and that should be enough imo.
Guests cannot view member profiles by default, unless you allow them to. As long as they can see the signature in the viewtopic page, it wont matter if we can see it on their profile and it will just get messy to add both options.
Previous user: TheKiller

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Or you could just prevent users from seeing any details about the poster (other than user name, avatar and maybe rank) if the Can view profiles, memberlist and online list permission isn't Yes. You might also change the name to Can view profile information, memberlist and online list.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

make it an extension?
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

I'm not against the idea but if the point is to somehow deter SPAM then, based on the SPAM we get here on Area 51, this won't do anything in that regard. Signature spammers don't seem to be very commonplace.

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

Well it can also help with SEO in topics, as it reduces noise level if guests cannot see signatures (which would also cover search engines). So even if not used as an extra anti-spam measure "against signature spammers", it can still be used to try and improve forum seo by reducing nose level in topics and in profiles. I'm not sure if phpBB 3.1 uses "no follow" on signature links? If it doesn't then this can help with SEO to avoid losing page rank.

But more to the point, it doesn't change anything for those people not wanting to do this, if a switch is there to enable/disable. It's suits all users.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

First, forget about SEO. Who cares? :D And if you want to prevent search bots from seeing signatures, you'll need to set that for the Bots group, too (unless you deleted all of the pre-installed bots).

Second, if you want to prevent signature spam, you don't allow newly registered users to use signatures (using the Can use signature permission). But, as David said, spammers don't really care -- they're using shotguns, not scalpels.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

Pony99CA wrote:First, forget about SEO. Who cares? :D And if you want to prevent search bots from seeing signatures, you'll need to set that for the Bots group, too (unless you deleted all of the pre-installed bots).

Second, if you want to prevent signature spam, you don't allow newly registered users to use signatures (using the Can use signature permission). But, as David said, spammers don't really care -- they're using shotguns, not scalpels.

Steve
Actually, I don't care about SEO. It overrated. :P