Abilty to hide online users list from guests

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
mrgtb

Abilty to hide online users list from guests

Post by mrgtb »

I've been playing around with the "index_body.html" template (taking into account some admin cp settings) not clashing with what I've done below in this code to hide Online Users list from guests (but still show it to members). Which if implemented along with stopping guests from viewing "profiles, members list and online list" via usergroup permissions, plus you as admin making your profile setting ticked to hide online status. Then you can use the forum as admin logged in and guest cannot tell that you're even on the forum.

So what do you think of the idea using this code below somehow to add a new admin cp switch to either allow or deny guests from viewing online users list in the online box panel on forum index. I added the red code and used a default phpBB language shown to guests.
<!-- IF S_DISPLAY_ONLINE_LIST -->
<div class="stat-block online-list">
<!-- IF U_VIEWONLINE --><h3><a href="{U_VIEWONLINE}">{L_WHO_IS_ONLINE}</a></h3><!-- ELSE --><h3>{L_WHO_IS_ONLINE}</h3><!-- ENDIF -->
<p>
<!-- EVENT index_body_block_online_prepend -->
<!-- IF S_REGISTERED_USER -->{TOTAL_USERS_ONLINE} ({L_ONLINE_EXPLAIN})<br />{RECORD_USERS}<br /> <br />{LOGGED_IN_USER_LIST}<!-- ELSE -->{L_LOGIN_EXPLAIN_VIEWONLINE}<br /><!-- ENDIF -->
<!-- IF LEGEND --><br /><em>{L_LEGEND}{L_COLON} {LEGEND}</em><!-- ENDIF -->
<!-- EVENT index_body_block_online_append -->
</p>
</div>
<!-- ENDIF -->
At the minute in phpBB3. The only option you have if not wanting to show online users to guests - is disable it for all users (even you as admin cannot view it). But this gets around that problem to still see it as a registered user, while guests can't and helps enable you to further make yourself as admin totally invisible to guests trolling on forum by changing a few other settings afterwards that's all default to use.

mrgtb

Re: Abilty to hide online users list from guests

Post by mrgtb »

Doesn't matter about this, as I've found out you also have to do same in two other places that shows online users in topics and browsing forums too guests.

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Why would it matter if they can see or not? If they don't have the permission to view and/or PM they can't do anything with it anyway.
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

Because I now run my forum as a private one and will stay that way. The problem before for me is that guests can still view statistics and users online listed on index page in footer (when you make the board private), even if they can't view forums. I stopped that now, so guests hitting board have no idea who is online, nor what the board statistics are. Visit my signature link (my board) as a guest viewing index page looking for information about board and you'll see what I mean. It doesn't cater to lurkers looking for board info as a guest.

Members on my board can still view users online listed in footer, same with statistics - but guests cannot see either. Even the online corner ribbon for each user displayed in topics only gets shown to members (not guests if activated in admin cp settings) to use. Users online browsing both forums and topics is not shown to guests either, only get shown to members.