[RFC] Move display & sort options in footer to dropdown menu

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Kiweed

Re: [RFC] Move display & sort options in footer to dropdown menu

Post by Kiweed »

VSE wrote:I just want to bring up my concern over the implications of having drop downs within drop downs, as well as it seems like three drop menus have essentially been hidden behind another non-descript sort icon menu. This seems to me to have potential usability and accessibility issues.
Yes please please be careful .... Fathers on my forum seem to have a very hard time knowing anything about what a sort method is or where to find it yet the students use it blindfolded
VSE wrote: Here's a bad photochop of an idea to make the sort options at least look nicer, without hiding them or stacking them inside of another drop menu. (Although ultimately, I am still fine with the original way it has always been too)
now I do LOVE those more descriptive images!
So yes .... something needs to happen for the technophobes & geriatrics sake and anything that makes those little drop down boxes more descriptive like VSE's image would be amazing = yes ... but hiding them behind a little image = no

:)

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

Kiweed wrote:
VSE wrote:I just want to bring up my concern over the implications of having drop downs within drop downs, as well as it seems like three drop menus have essentially been hidden behind another non-descript sort icon menu. This seems to me to have potential usability and accessibility issues.
Yes please please be careful .... Fathers on my forum seem to have a very hard time knowing anything about what a sort method is or where to find it yet the students use it blindfolded
You could argue the other way round. Are technophobes really likely to use this feature anyway? It might just confuse them to begin with.

I know your particular board uses a custom sorting method, but assuming you can get it to sort the correct way by default (as per your other topic), how likely is it that your visitors will want to change the sort order (particularly the layman)?

Kiweed

Post by Kiweed »

PayBas wrote:You could argue the other way round. Are technophobes really likely to use this feature anyway? It might just confuse them to begin with.
I know your particular board uses a custom sorting method, but assuming you can get it to sort the correct way by default (as per your other topic), how likely is it that your visitors will want to change the sort order (particularly the layman)?
You are right the "geriatrics" wouldn't use it anyway .... thats why we set the different sort order in ACP to give the rugby,soccer and hockey venue/time sections the blog type look. I Used to use the "Force Order" setting in ACP so they couldn't change it no matter how much they used the buttons but found the Students really tech savey and wanted to sort all sorts of ways so now leave the force setting off (sorry getting off this topic and onto the other one) :)

I just found they way BOTH images were done was a lot better than those drop down boxes.
I showed my Father (one of those 60 year old geriatrics) both the old and your 2 new options and he found VAZ's little image really obvious to its purpose over the drop down boxes.
VSE wrote:This seems to me to have potential usability and accessibility issues.
VSE's comment is right .... A majority of Forums do not have any "tech savey" people so a "be careful" whatever is done.
PayBas mentioned in the very first post, "The Clutter" which I personally find he is correct ..... there must be a better way than the options there are now.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

personally I do not see the problem with the way the current proposal is after rethinking it. The original proposal also had the text too so you would have something like this on desktop
display&sort.png
display&sort.png (6.09 KiB) Viewed 13432 times
and then on mobile the text would be hidden so that all you see is the icon.

I would also prefer to maybe see it moved to the top as well.

yes its one more click but its not the end of the world to gain a cleaner UI
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

Kiweed

Post by Kiweed »

I am with the top option +10 ...... more obvious. lots of my older users dont even know its down the bottom
even hanakins picture is awesome!!
maybe just a smidge bigger but that is more obvious to me as to its purpose over this Image

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

Look at how XenForo does it: http://xenforo.com/community/forums/gen ... edback.45/

Look for "Thread Display Options" at the bottom. Do we like that any?

Personally I don't, but at least it looks better than our current one.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

that does not really fix the problem only mask it
Donations welcome via Paypal Image