[RFC] Replace CSS Reset to normalize.css in prosilver

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
callumacrae
Former Team Member

Re: [RFC] Replace CSS Reset to normalize.css in prosilver

Post by callumacrae »

keith10456 wrote:I'm pretty ignorant to css so have patience with me.

Is this something that should/could be considered for 3.2?
Choosing between a reset / normalize is something that should be done when the theme is starting to be developed—if there were going to be a complete rewrite of the style from scratch, it would be worth considering, but it isn't worth changing from one to the other when the style has already been developed.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Ger

Post by Ger »

callumacrae wrote:Choosing between a reset / normalize is something that should be done when the theme is starting to be developed—if there were going to be a complete rewrite of the style from scratch, it would be worth considering, but it isn't worth changing from one to the other when the style has already been developed.
+1

Changing from reset to normalize would mean going over many margins, paddings, borders, etc. again. IMHO, there is absolutely no advantage in this change once a style is finished.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

pawel92

Post by pawel92 »

To implement normalize we need to make sure that all the html tags used in the script are styling in our css file, with reservation that not all html elements must be set styling. Most of the work makes up normalize.

For example, a div element no requires styling at all because all browsers are set on the div element margin and padding 0.

It is different from the element dl in any browser margin is set differently in this case, we need to apply the margin to the page is not spoiled when the browser engine will meet this element.

In my opinion you need to do sitemap html elements used in the script and see which elements need to be stylish by us and which do not.
Introduction normalize not only purifies the css, but also keep pace with new browsers - mobile and desktop.

Code: Select all

/**
 * Remove the gray background color from active links in IE 10.
 */

a {
  background: transparent;
}
or

Code: Select all

/**
 * 1. Correct color not being inherited.
 *    Known issue: affects color of disabled elements.
 * 2. Correct font properties not being inherited.
 * 3. Address margins set differently in Firefox 4+, Safari, and Chrome.
 */

button,
input,
optgroup,
select,
textarea {
  color: inherit; /* 1 */
  font: inherit; /* 2 */
  margin: 0; /* 3 */
}
For example, to discover it would have to test phpbb on all browsers and follow the default behavior of each of them. Already someone to do it for you.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

This is something that will be in a new theme, but is not something that is anyway beneficial to prosilver as its a completed "decaying" style. Their is so much that needs to be addressed within a new theme already that this alone would have little improvement.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image