Permission Setting to show IP address to Admins only

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Master_Cylinder

Re: Permission Setting to show IP address to Admins only

Post by Master_Cylinder »

IP is valuable for administration and moderation. I'd *rather* ban tor/proxies.
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol:

Alien_Time

Re: Permission Setting to show IP address to Admins only

Post by Alien_Time »

Master_Cylinder wrote:IP is valuable for administration and moderation. I'd *rather* ban tor/proxies.
What I am saying is IP info is valuable for Administrator but not mandatory for Moderators. I dont agree with the argument that moderators needs to know the Ip for moderation work. NOT RIGHT because this doesnt apply for all websites. They can still moderate without needing to view the ip info. In my site, although I have moderators who can edit, delete spams, move topics, etc.. end of the day, the administrators still reviews these changes and revert changes if needed. So there is no need for my moderators to view ip address, where that user is located, what provider they are using, etc.. etc.. to perform the task I have given them permission to.

M_C, you have made your point. But not all site administrators would like to gives full permission / access to moderators. I feel ip addresses are sensitive information and dont like the idea where all moderators automatically have access to this info just because they are in the moderator group. So a simple permission setting with 'yes', 'no' or 'never' makes more sense since admins can decide which moderators can view ips can who cant.