[RFC] Replace Verbiage For User Control Panel In Overallheader

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
sajaki

Re: [RFC] Replace Verbiage For User Control Panel In Overallheader

Post by sajaki »

Ok, but drop the "manage", i think just "Account" should be enough. And you could also replace the word with an appropriate "person" icon. abit like this on the Oracle site.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (2.35 KiB) Viewed 15442 times

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Pico88 wrote:... But come back to the topic, I'm for "Profile" or "Account". The shorter it is, the better it is ;)
Agreed. "Account" is better.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Has it been decided that we're staying with "User Control Panel"?

(I hope not.)

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Pony99CA wrote:
VSE+ wrote:Username ∨
- Overview
- Board preferences
- Private messages
- Usergroups
- Friends & Foes
--------------------
- Logout

This would encompass all the main "tabs" shown in the UCP
The problem with making the user name a menu is that it's now inconsistent with clicking user names elsewhere in phpBB, where you get taken to the user's profile. I would rather see the User Control Panel link display that menu if you hovered over it (clicking it would go to the UCP as it does today).

If we have to rename the text, "Manage Account" seems best. PMs are, in some sense, part of your account, as are the other items there. I do not think that "User Control Panel" is "outdated", though; Windows still uses the term "Control Panel" (at least through Windows 7; I don't know about Windows 8), so many users will be able to figure out what a "control panel" is.

Steve
Disagree as its your username, and in the header which is consistent with any application everywhere. And if need be we could add an arrow next to it to emphasizes that its a drop-down like boot-strap

as for what to put their in the menu the term is "User Preferences" This encapsulates everything well. Then move the MCP and ACP links to this menu as well so you have

Username
> User Preferences
> Moderator Tools
> Admin Panel

The "Notifications" and the "Private Messages" should remain as primary links however I would drop the "Private" from "Private Messages"

(please disregaurd fonts and colors as it was a quick hack at a mock-up)
header.png
(18.72 KiB) Downloaded 518 times
The rest of the links are irrelevant to the header and should be moved elsewhere and need their own discussions.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

Why change the name?

Let all the others call it "Account" and let phpBB be unique and call it "User Control Panel" where you can control everything. UCP is superior. "Profile" and "Account" are just parts of UCP.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

@ hanakin - I like it. Except, there needs to be an option for the member to view their profile (take them to their profile page).

@ Louis7777 - The problem with "User Control Panel" is it's too long and it's confusing to the average website member in 2014.

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

i like this idea... it can be into 3.1. and it's better ACP link remove from footer.

Jessica.

Post by Jessica. »

Meis2M wrote:i like this idea... it can be into 3.1. and it's better ACP link remove from footer.
I disagree, I like the ACP link in the footer. Some people want it there so it should be kept there.

aleha

Post by aleha »

I too, do like the ACP link in the footer.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

keith10456 wrote:@ hanakin - I like it. Except, there needs to be an option for the member to view their profile (take them to their profile page).

The name and avatar would link to the profile, the arrow could be the dropdown. although I still see no reason to go to your profile. If there is a reason to go to your own profile I would argue that whatever it is needs to be moved to a more logical place!

@ Louis7777 - The problem with "User Control Panel" is it's too long and it's confusing to the average website member in 2014.
Jessica. wrote:
Meis2M wrote:i like this idea... it can be into 3.1. and it's better ACP link remove from footer.
I disagree, I like the ACP link in the footer. Some people want it there so it should be kept there.
aleha wrote:I too, do like the ACP link in the footer.
can you provide an argument for why other than you prefer it their? Thats not a reason to prevent us from moving it to a more logical place. Its aglbal function and I do not wish to scroll to the bottom of a massive site inorder to click it. ;)
Donations welcome via Paypal Image