[RFC] Extend Existing Implementation of AJAX in ACP

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
M.Gaetan89

Re: [RFC] Extend Existing Implementation of AJAX in ACP

Post by M.Gaetan89 »

Maybe it's not possible with phpBB browsers compatibility requirements, but what about HTML5 drag and drop ?
Last edited by M.Gaetan89 on Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jessica.

Post by Jessica. »

+1

Drag and drop is better than using the arrow buttons...even though it's slightly easier to order with the ajax in ordering, drag and drop is way better.

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

M.Gaetan89 wrote:Maybe it's not possible with phpBB browsers compatibility requirements, but what about HTML5 drag and drop ?
Of course I would prefer a HTML5 implementation too. But the browser-compatibility list for phpBB 3.1 is IE8+.

HTML5 drag & drop doesn't work for:
  • IE8
  • IE9 only partially (no <div> etc., but since we want to sort <tr> it might not be a problem)
  • Safari 5.1
We could argue that IE8 & Safari 5 could fall back on using the regular arrows. We'll have to discuss it first.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

im not sure 5.1 should still be in the mix, but if we are using js I am not sure what the issue is as we can polyfill all of those browsers someway im sure to enable it
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

We can make drag&drop only for the browsers that support it. For the rest, we keep the classical up and down arrows with the twist that it now does not require full page reloads to reorder.

As for the drag&drop using HTML5, I recently have made drag&drop with the browser's API so I can assist whoever wants to do that.

BTW: The drag&drop API was made by microsoft. The one in the spec was made based on a result of reverse-engineering Microsoft's API in IE.

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

brunoais wrote:We can make drag&drop only for the browsers that support it. For the rest, we keep the classical up and down arrows with the twist that it now does not require full page reloads to reorder.

As for the drag&drop using HTML5, I recently have made drag&drop with the browser's API so I can assist whoever wants to do that.

BTW: The drag&drop API was made by microsoft. The one in the spec was made based on a result of reverse-engineering Microsoft's API in IE.
I've never actually used HTML5 drag & drop, so if you want to take the lead on this, you're more than welcome.

prototech
Former Team Member

Post by prototech »

brunoais wrote:We can make drag&drop only for the browsers that support it. For the rest, we keep the classical up and down arrows with the twist that it now does not require full page reloads to reorder.
That is fine with me.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

prototech wrote:
That is fine with me.
Yes, but keep the arrows there even in HTML 5 for people who don't know about or can't use (accessibility, for example) drag and drop.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Yeah, sure