Unapproved posts status

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
leschek

Unapproved posts status

Post by leschek »

When user send post to forum where moderators approving post, he/she doesn't know what happen with his/her post or even if post is still waiting for approval or is already deleted.
I propose to have a tab in UCP where user can see what is status of his/her unapproved posts - waiting for approval, deleted + optional reason.

There was short discussion on this topic in phpBB 3.x Development ‹ [3.x] Discussion forum.

Dragosvr92

Re: [RFC] Unapproved posts status

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Great idea !
I wanted to propose an improvement for this.

After you submit the post, you cant view it until the mod approves it.
You as the author and admins/moderators should be allowed to see this post on the topics page and view it..
Previous user: TheKiller

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Would they then be afforded the ability to edit their post as well?

leschek

Post by leschek »

I would make a post editable for an author (no one else can see it anyway, so I guess it shouldn't be problem) until moderator view it. At that moment it should be locked until moderator decide what will happen with the post. If there is some minor reason to not approve the post, moderator can write short comment, why the post wasn't approved or what changes author should do and unlock the post to allow author make changes.

In this case there should be statuses :
Waiting for moderator to see a post
Waiting for decision of a moderator
Waiting for user's action
Not approved

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

leschek wrote:When user send post to forum where moderators approving post, he/she doesn't know what happen with his/her post or even if post is still waiting for approval or is already deleted.
I propose to have a tab in UCP where user can see what is status of his/her unapproved posts - waiting for approval, deleted + optional reason.

There was short discussion on this topic in phpBB 3.x Development ‹ [3.x] Discussion forum.
I have been suggesting allowing people to see, edit and even delete their own posts in the moderation queue for a while. Having an area in the UCP to view those posts is a great idea, too.

However, if a post is deleted, where will that "optional reason" be displayed? As the post is no longer awaiting moderation, but has been disapproved (and deleted), it won't be displayed on this proposed page. ;) You would probably need a new table to store disapproved post titles, but when would that get cleared? Would the user have to select the deleted post in the list and delete that?
leschek wrote:I would make a post editable for an author (no one else can see it anyway, so I guess it shouldn't be problem) until moderator view it. At that moment it should be locked until moderator decide what will happen with the post. If there is some minor reason to not approve the post, moderator can write short comment, why the post wasn't approved or what changes author should do and unlock the post to allow author make changes.

Not approved
I would allow editing it at any time. Allowing editing only before a moderator has seen it poses some issues.
  • It would require a database schema change; allowing editing at any time would not. That's obviously not a reason in and of itself to not do this, but the rest will be. Of course, being able to edit and delete posts being moderated would be dependent on the edit/delete permissions set up for the forum that the post is in.
  • You have a "Waiting for user's action" status, but what action are you waiting for if the user can't edit that post? You said that the moderator could unlock the post for minor actions, but this seems needlessly complex. Why wouldn't the moderator just edit the post himself and then approve it?
  • A user shouldn't be prevented from doing something that he has permission to do just because somebody has viewed his post. If a moderator looks at a post and doesn't approve it or disapprove it on the spot, but instead wants to discuss it, once the discussion is over, he could easily review the post again before approving it to see if the author has already fixed the problem. (In fact, a good moderator who is delaying approving to discuss the post with others should probably send a PM to the user letting him know why the post was being discussed and what action the user could take to get the post approved. If a comment is allowed to be added, and that gets displayed on this new UCP page for posts awaiting approval, the PM isn't necessary.)
This discussion also got me wondering about what phpBB 3.0 does. Suppose that a user is allowed edit posts for three days. Further suppose that a post sat in the moderation queue for longer than three days. Once the post is approved, does the user still have three days to edit it from that point or from the time of the initial posting? If it's from the time of the initial posting, that's another reason to allow editing posts in the queue.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

leschek wrote:I would make a post editable for an author (no one else can see it anyway, so I guess it shouldn't be problem) until moderator view it. At that moment it should be locked until moderator decide what will happen with the post. If there is some minor reason to not approve the post, moderator can write short comment, why the post wasn't approved or what changes author should do and unlock the post to allow author make changes.

Not approved
+1
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

leschek

Re: Unapproved posts status

Post by leschek »

Pony99CA wrote:However, if a post is deleted, where will that "optional reason" be displayed? As the post is no longer awaiting moderation, but has been disapproved (and deleted), it won't be displayed on this proposed page. ;) You would probably need a new table to store disapproved post titles, but when would that get cleared? Would the user have to select the deleted post in the list and delete that?
First. I wrote this RFC from user point of view (I'm not programmer).
I guess there can be option in ACP to allow an admin to clear a deleted post's titles after xy days/weeks/months or there can be option in ACP to let admin choose how many deleted post's titles user can store (same as it is done with PMs). Another option could be to send PM to let user know about deleting a post - in this case it would be stored as PM.
Pony99CA wrote:You have a "Waiting for user's action" status, but what action are you waiting for if the user can't edit that post? You said that the moderator could unlock the post for minor actions, but this seems needlessly complex. Why wouldn't the moderator just edit the post himself and then approve it?
I thought it would be nice way to teach user how to write a post without breaking a forum rules.
I guess that posts can be editable all the time and if moderator will need to lock the post, there could be the button to lock it as is now on a normal post. Also on side of status can be message or note from moderator that the post is locked (and user will receive PM about it). I'm not against editing a posts all the time I just thought it would be easier for someone who moderating big board, where can be plenty of new users in a day.
Pony99CA wrote:This discussion also got me wondering about what phpBB 3.0 does. Suppose that a user is allowed edit posts for three days. Further suppose that a post sat in the moderation queue for longer than three days. Once the post is approved, does the user still have three days to edit it from that point or from the time of the initial posting? If it's from the time of the initial posting, that's another reason to allow editing posts in the queue.
I tested it and it seems that user is not able to edit his/her post, when the post is in moderation queue longer than the time for editing a post is set. In other words - the counting time for editing a post starts when a post is sent by user and doesn't matter if moderator has to review it or not.

Pony99CA

Re: Unapproved posts status

Post by Pony99CA »

leschek wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:This discussion also got me wondering about what phpBB 3.0 does. Suppose that a user is allowed edit posts for three days. Further suppose that a post sat in the moderation queue for longer than three days. Once the post is approved, does the user still have three days to edit it from that point or from the time of the initial posting? If it's from the time of the initial posting, that's another reason to allow editing posts in the queue.
I tested it and it seems that user is not able to edit his/her post, when the post is in moderation queue longer than the time for editing a post is set. In other words - the counting time for editing a post starts when a post is sent by user and doesn't matter if moderator has to review it or not.
Thanks for testing that (I was lazy :)). That seems like a "bug" to me. If I can't edit it while it's awaiting moderation and I can't edit it after approval if approval took too long, that's bad. That's another reason I'm in favor of users being able to see and act upon their own posts in moderation.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.