Default value for missed language entry

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Re: [RFC] default value for missed language entry

Post by DavidIQ »

In my opinion that would be a step backwards from what we do now. Null means nothing to the user. L_VAR_NAME is a bit easier to identify both what is meant and what exactly is missing.
Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

emosbat wrote:
DavidIQ wrote:
emosbat wrote:- return default value in templates as null (i mean: L_VARIABLE_NAME), when entry missed.
I'm confused as I'm sure this is what phpBB does right now in 3.0. If the variable is not defined for a string then the string is returned as the variable name in all cases.
I meant return null for L_VARIABLE_NAME in that paragraph not returning L_VARIABLE_NAME for that variable.
That will make it much harder to debug. If you see the name of the variable, you know what to add and what the string should contain (more or less, if the variable is named well).

Even if you only do this when debug is off, that means the template could be misleading. For example, suppose the forum table headings weren't set. Seeing the variable names gives me an idea of what each column is supposed to contain. Seeing nothing there would be more confusing.

-1 from me.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Pony99CA wrote:
emosbat wrote:
DavidIQ wrote:
emosbat wrote:- return default value in templates as null (i mean: L_VARIABLE_NAME), when entry missed.
I'm confused as I'm sure this is what phpBB does right now in 3.0. If the variable is not defined for a string then the string is returned as the variable name in all cases.
I meant return null for L_VARIABLE_NAME in that paragraph not returning L_VARIABLE_NAME for that variable.
That will make it much harder to debug. If you see the name of the variable, you know what to add and what the string should contain (more or less, if the variable is named well)...
Agreed.