Replace image buttons with css

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Un1matr1x

Re: Replace image buttons with css

Post by Un1matr1x »

EXreaction wrote:Fonts are either bold or not bold, while varying levels of bold are in spec, they are not usable in any browser I know of.
The level of "bolderness" isn't browser-dependent, it depends on the font-family you're using.

F.e. Arial, Verdana and Times don't support "bolder", but Dosis does.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

DavidIQ wrote:Yes but I think the "Post Reply" text in the button could do with a bit of boldness at least. Should stand out from the other elements in that area, which right now it does not really stand out.
There is a ticket for this. Due to browser and font behaviors, it's difficult to make the text look better for everyone (it was being investigated a bit).

DionDesigns

Post by DionDesigns »

Arial 14px bold will be very close to the look of the 3.0.x image-based buttons.

Arial is a supported font on all Windows and Mac desktop/notebook systems, as well as all iPhones and iPads. Android devices only have one sans-serif font (Droid Sans), and at 14px bold, it looks even better for the buttons than does Arial. So:

Code: Select all

font-family: Arial,sans-serif
font-size: 14px;
font-weight: bold;
will get the job done.

And while I'm at it, how about replacing "Andale Mono" with "Lucida Console" for CODE tags? Meaning, this:

font: 0.9em Monaco, "Andale Mono","Courier New", Courier, mono;
to this:

font: 0.9em Monaco, "Lucida Console","Courier New", Courier, mono;
Andale Mono hasn't existed in Windows systems since 2002...Lucida Console replaced it in XP SP1 due to licensing issues. In addition, Lucida Console is the Windows equivalent to the Monaco font used on Mac desktop/notebook systems and iPads/iPhones, so this change would result in code boxes looking the same on all systems. (Don't ask me to open an RFC. Not gonna happen for something so miniscule and so easy to change.)

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

edited.
Last edited by Danielx64 on Wed May 29, 2013 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

Hello,

Just wondering if this is going to be in 3.1?

Thankyou :)

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

*Daniel wrote: Just wondering if this is going to be in 3.1?
Some of it already seems to be here. If you copy text in the Post Reply button, you get:
The Quote button doesn't seem to be done, though.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

Currently only the big buttons were replaced. They need some more fixing before we focus the little ones
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

I don't see how small buttons could be changed for prosilver. They require tiny font that won't look the same in all browsers.

So only large buttons are implemented.

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

Arty wrote:I don't see how small buttons could be changed for prosilver. They require tiny font that won't look the same in all browsers.

So only large buttons are implemented.
Fair enough :)

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Arty wrote:I don't see how small buttons could be changed for prosilver. They require tiny font that won't look the same in all browsers.
:?: The font in the Quote button looks about the same size as the text here does. How bad does this look: QUOTE or Quote. Here it is smaller: QUOTE or Quote.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.