[RFC] Extension Managment using Composer

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Re: [RFC] Extension Managment using Composer

Post by MichaelC »

Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

With the creation of the Custom BBCodes contribution type (click), it might be a good idea to add support for installing directly from the database there as well. We could just modify the contribution creation thing to automatically create a composer.json for the custom bbcodes that are submitted. Anyway, it's just a thought.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

imkingdavid wrote:With the creation of the Custom BBCodes contribution type (click), it might be a good idea to add support for installing directly from the database there as well. We could just modify the contribution creation thing to automatically create a composer.json for the custom bbcodes that are submitted. Anyway, it's just a thought.
I'll have a look at this but only after I've done the main contribution types (Styles, Language Packs, Extensions). Bear in mind that what your suggesting means making a downloadable zip with three files inside which would contain the three items (html replacement, bbcode usage and helpline), then a way to get information from files and create the custom bbcode after somehow notifying the db that it got downloaded so it can then add the bbcode. Then updating it would be even more difficult. And the having [REQ] bbcodes and [ALT] bbcodes makes it almost impossible.
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

I wouldn't bother integrating them. We can come up with something else instead of trying to jam them in as an extension.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

DavidIQ wrote:I wouldn't bother integrating them. We can come up with something else instead of trying to jam them in as an extension.
Actually that is kind of clever. Extensions being able to support custom BBcodes. An option file called bbcodes.json which when loaded adds custom bbcodes specified within it.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

imkingdavid wrote:With the creation of the Custom BBCodes contribution type (click), it might be a good idea to add support for installing directly from the database there as well. We could just modify the contribution creation thing to automatically create a composer.json for the custom bbcodes that are submitted. Anyway, it's just a thought.
I don't know about using Composer, but I suggested a Custom BBCode import facility a couple of months ago, so I'm in favor of something like this.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Kamahl19

Better Extensions administration

Post by Kamahl19 »

Right now, admin has to download Ext package and upload it to FTP manually. There could be another 2 options.

1. Search for package in your PC and upload it via ACP
2. Search for Extensions which are in phpbb.com Extensions DB. For example admin wants a chat extension, so he search for "chat" and it displays all Extensions with "chat" in name or description. Then he selects the Ext he wants and click Install. It will download the package automatically to his FTP and enables it.

There could be some more features in ACP:
1. list of all Extensions created by phpbb.com Ext team
2. featured extensions - extensions created by community but featured by phpbb.com team
3. most popular extensions - list of most downloaded extensions

Edit: I posted this in wrong forum, please move it to RFCs

Meis2M

Re: Better Extensions administration

Post by Meis2M »

very lovely suggestion. +1

Jessica.

Post by Jessica. »

I've always liked the ease of uploading mods with Automod, so installing extensions should be similar

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder »

Very much like how wordpress does it, if you work with styles in a similar manner, you have a winner.

I'd skip the bloated list, most downloaded, etc and stick to search. They can go to the phpBB site for the extras.
These kids today...
Buy them books, send them to school and what do they do?

They eat the paste. :lol: