[RFC] extending default BBCodes

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Jacob

Re: [RFC] extending default BBCodes

Post by Jacob »

Don't like, don't want, don't need the font tag. Please don't.

Reading a topic with 5 differente font types with their different sizes, spacing, etc. is a nightmare.
callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Jacob wrote:Don't like, don't want, don't need the font tag. Please don't.

Reading a topic with 5 differente font types with their different sizes, spacing, etc. is a nightmare.
It can be useful for small blocks, though. For example, on vBulletin boards that don't have a [c] tag, I use the font tag to set the font to a monospaced font.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog
Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

emosbat wrote:extending phpbb default bbcodes:
  • adding text alignment bbcodes (left, right, center)
  • adding font selection bbcode (font family/type)

these buttons missed in phpbb and exists in most systems by default.
I think these are some base bbcodes that could include in phpbb,
for example why we have font color but not font type? :roll:
+1
emosbat wrote:if you are going to add WYSIWYG editor in future then these two BBCodes would be the most to include so it is better to include them sooner. all WYSIWYG editors support alignment and font style.
+1 i agree with u if WYSIWYG editor will be add.
Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

If you really want to make people happy, how about a good set of table BBCodes. I defined some on my test board, but due to an issue with (or quirk of) the BBCode parser, new lines between some of the tags are treated as real text and moved above the table.

And if phpBB had a simple way to export and import BBCodes (as I suggested above), I could make them available to everybody.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Pony99CA wrote:If you really want to make people happy, how about a good set of table BBCodes. I defined some on my test board, but due to an issue with (or quirk of) the BBCode parser, new lines between some of the tags are treated as real text and moved above the table.
Tricky. BBCode should never compile to invalid HTML, so you'd have to have some way of validating that the [td] tag the user is trying to use is in fact in both a [table] and a [tr].
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog
Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

callumacrae wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:If you really want to make people happy, how about a good set of table BBCodes. I defined some on my test board, but due to an issue with (or quirk of) the BBCode parser, new lines between some of the tags are treated as real text and moved above the table.
Tricky. BBCode should never compile to invalid HTML, so you'd have to have some way of validating that the [td] tag the user is trying to use is in fact in both a [table] and a [tr].
True, but you could probably do it like lists do if you use the optional [/*]. Does the following list generate valid HTML?

BBCode

Code: Select all

[list]
[*]Item 1[/*]x
[*]Item 2[/*]y
[*]Item 3[/*]z
[/list]
HTML

Code: Select all

<ul>
<li>Item 1</li>x<br />
<li>Item 2</li>y<br />
<li>Item 3</li>z<br />
</ul>
Output
  • Item 1
  • x
  • Item 2
  • y
  • Item 3
  • z
Even if the HTML isn't valid, the output at least looks reasonable (in IE 8). (UPDATE: It is not valid.)

Tables possibly just wouldn't require [/tr], [/td] and [/th] tags. [tr], [td] and [th] elements would be ended by other similar elements and [/table].

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
JoshyPHP

Post by JoshyPHP »

callumacrae wrote:BBCode should never compile to invalid HTML, so you'd have to have some way of validating that the [td] tag the user is trying to use is in fact in both a [table] and a [tr].
Would you mind expanding on that? When you say "invalid HTML" I assume you mean "structurally sound" (e.g. no <td> in the middle of nowhere) not "green-mark-on-W3C-validator" valid, right?

And while I'm picking your brain, do you have another example of invalid HTML that really sucks? And by suck I mean the WTF-factor on the user's side when text inside of a <table> but outside of a <td> gets rendered outside of it. How do you think text outside of [td] should be handled by the message parser? I guess the easy way would be to just stick it inside another [td]. It's pretty bad, but at least the user will get a new cell in the table, even if out of place. Still sounds better than having it outside of the table. :?
emosbat

Post by emosbat »

I am pro adding table bbcodes too. but we can use DIV instead table for that. something like this:

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/47934/DIV-TABLE
Last edited by emosbat on Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Vinny wrote:+1 for alignment and font.

But [font] would be better hidden, like the current [email] BBcode.
Why should font be hidden?
emosbat wrote:I am pro adding table bbcodes too. but we can use DIV instead it table for that. something like this:

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/47934/DIV-TABLE
Tables are for tabular information. If you have tabular information then it really does make sense to make a table.
I don't think we should generalize that idea just yet....
imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

brunoais wrote:
Vinny wrote:+1 for alignment and font.

But [font] would be better hidden, like the current [email] BBcode.
Why should font be hidden?
So it doesn't get overused. I don't know how many times I've had to squint to read text on some non-phpBB-based forums that is in a hard-to-read font. IMO font should only be changed in a very small number of circumstances.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.