[RFC] Cookie notice

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
noth

Re: [RFC] Cookie notice

Post by noth »

I always thought that phpBB forums came outside the European data protection authorities Cookie Regulations but proving it seems to be a minefield so let's err on the side of safety

Any phpBB forums inside EU, looks like we need an ext to help ;)

John P

Post by John P »

As long as you don't collect private data about a person you don't have to warn about the cookie in EU.
Inlogdata isn't private data.

DarkBeing

Post by DarkBeing »

John P wrote:As long as you don't collect private data about a person you don't have to warn about the cookie in EU.
Inlogdata isn't private data.
Actually, to my understanding this is not quiet correct. It is not only about private data but setting cookies in general.

jsebean

Post by jsebean »

noth wrote:I always thought that phpBB forums came outside the European data protection authorities Cookie Regulations but proving it seems to be a minefield so let's err on the side of safety

Any phpBB forums inside EU, looks like we need an ext to help ;)
The issue isn't the fact that phpBB (or phpBB.com) may or may not be affected by such law, but that, being an international project, the fact of the matter is, there are European's (and others as more countries adopt such legislation) who will use phpBB on their own site that would be affected by the law.
-Jonah