FAQ Manager

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Alien_Time

Re: [RFC] Store FAQs in Database with ACP Edit Option

Post by Alien_Time »

How much space is the FAQ questions gonna take? This is not gonna have millions of questions to cause any issue with database performance. That doesn't make sense. If a board does have a huge database, then it's probably due to the huge number forum posts and topics and not due to a 20 FAQ questions.

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

After re reading the title I took it that you wanted to put every language pack but now I worked out that it just the faq. Someone wrote a rules ext for 3.1 so I suppose that one could get that and edit it.

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

The FAQ is primarily related to how to use phpBB software.

What you are asking for, is exactly what the Board Rules extension will offer, when it is created. It should be available by the time phpBB 3.1 is final and released.
Has an irascible disposition.

Vinny
Style Customisations
Style Customisations

Post by Vinny »

FAQ entries are defined in the language files that can be easily edited via ACP or downloading the file and editing it.
viewtopic.php?f=108&t=43263&hilit=faq&start=10#p243707

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

This RFC already exists so I'll merge the two topics: [RFC] Store FAQs in Database with ACP Edit Option into [RFC] FAQ Manager
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

Louis7777

Re: [RFC] FAQ Manager

Post by Louis7777 »

DavidIQ wrote:Well you can easily add the rules to the FAQ if you wish with this change so you don't need an entirely different page for it.
I like to make my websites unique and informative so I always customize the FAQ, Terms of use, Privacy Policy, BBCode guide and sometimes I write additional information pages (e.g. DMCA Policy, Rules page, Contact information etc.).

I've wanted to use the FAQ Manager mod, but I have heavily modded forums and I was being skeptical about using it because:
  • - I didn't want to further modify my forum and have to unmodify it if something went wrong. Plus, I never trusted automod over the manual edits for a heavily-modified phpBB.
    - It says it is for version 3.0.6 and
    - a few users reported errors at the mod's discussion so even if it does work for the latest version, I decided not to use it and be on the safe side (mainly because of the first reason).
My forums are usually multilingual (two languages). I don't like the official translation for my language so I tend to customize the FAQ for my language. And I always need to remove stuff from the english FAQ too and add my own. I can tell you from my experience that editing two FAQs (one for every language) is very time-consuming.

I don't mind if this doesn't make it to the core but I'd personally be disappointed if it doesn't become at least an extension.

Truth be told, I hardly ever edit the FAQ and all the other aforementioned pages. I usually edit them once and then correct a few details here and there. But that one time is very time-consuming and nerveracking.

It would be more useful as an extension - that way we can edit the FAQ once and then remove or uninstall the extension as it probably won't be needed again.

Jessica.

Re: [RFC] FAQ Manager

Post by Jessica. »

Louis7777 wrote:
DavidIQ wrote:Well you can easily add the rules to the FAQ if you wish with this change so you don't need an entirely different page for it.
I like to make my websites unique and informative so I always customize the FAQ, Terms of use, Privacy Policy, BBCode guide and sometimes I write additional information pages (e.g. DMCA Policy, Rules page, Contact information etc.).

I've wanted to use the FAQ Manager mod, but I have heavily modded forums and I was being skeptical about using it because:
  • - I didn't want to further modify my forum and have to unmodify it if something went wrong. Plus, I never trusted automod over the manual edits for a heavily-modified phpBB.
    - It says it is for version 3.0.6 and
    - a few users reported errors at the mod's discussion so even if it does work for the latest version, I decided not to use it and be on the safe side (mainly because of the first reason).
My forums are usually multilingual (two languages). I don't like the official translation for my language so I tend to customize the FAQ for my language. And I always need to remove stuff from the english FAQ too and add my own. I can tell you from my experience that editing two FAQs (one for every language) is very time-consuming.

I don't mind if this doesn't make it to the core but I'd personally be disappointed if it doesn't become at least an extension.

Truth be told, I hardly ever edit the FAQ and all the other aforementioned pages. I usually edit them once and then correct a few details here and there. But that one time is very time-consuming and nerveracking.

It would be more useful as an extension - that way we can edit the FAQ once and then remove or uninstall the extension as it probably won't be needed again.
the FAQ manager should work regardless of what version it says it is for. I need to double check, but I'm pretty sure no core edits are even made.

NeilUK

Re: FAQ Manager

Post by NeilUK »

I'd be in favour of this and would definitely use it, sure not many read the FAQ as a rule but having a modified one to fit each forum would mean you can easily just refer people to it and would mean it's relevant to the Forum you are running
"Life Is What Happens To You When You Are Busy Making Other Plans" - John Lennon

aleha

Post by aleha »

Any news on this even as an extension?

+1 by me.

Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil »

Another +1 from me, either in the core or as an extension to edit the core FAQ?

I always like to customise the FAQ so that it reflects the sites subject matter, while having a few of the common 'Forum type' faq's in place still. I used the FAQ manager MOD on another site and I found it useful.