[RFC] Permissions for Board Statistics

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Oleg

Re: [RFC] Permissions for Board Statistics

Post by Oleg »

naderman wrote:At the moment it's always very visible how many posts and topics there are on a forum. Which makes new forums look very empty/unused.
New forums don't look empty/unused, they are empty/unused. This is not going to be fixed by not displaying total post count.

Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

naderman wrote:A site like facebook doesn't greet you with a big counter of how many users and posts there are either.
facebook and forums are quite far apart, though if we make the comparison if you look at a users facebook page (which is more comparable with a forum, where facebook itself is more something like forumatic) you do get number of friends/photos/likes/etc.

However the point remains that an empty forum is an empty forum, stats or no stats.

This really is one of those features that would be far better off being an extension rather then build into the core.
Available on .com
Support Toolkit developer

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Erik Frèrejean wrote:However the point remains that an empty forum is an empty forum, stats or no stats.

This really is one of those features that would be far better off being an extension rather then build into the core.
Well as I said I should have just explained this differently. While an empty forum was how I got to thinking about this. I don't think this actually has much to do with whether the forum is empty or not. I simply think that our default front page focuses too much on statistics and numbers and too little on the content of the forum. And as such I believe this change should be made in the core and not be left to an extension. I would actually argue that this should becme the default. We can maybe have an additional page displaying statistics. It could be combined with the contact form and some freely configurable text into a generic about page.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

Do you need space taken up by the counts for something else? If not, my preference would be to leave them alone.

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

While Nil's has clarified what he means - my take is the stats don't define the board, if it has reason to exist it becomes popular if not, well it won't. I remember we actually increased our viewonline time to 30 mins back when ipb first appeared just because it "seemed" like they had more users vs. our 5 or 15 minute time period. It made no actual difference of course ... just put more load on the board, hum ho :D Stats are really no different.

In the perfect situation we'd have a new style to replace aging proSilver but for the time being I'd say leave it as it is. The one thing I would question is the "newest user" display - it's not something you always want to show. Profiles can be limited through permissions yet that new user name is displayed regardless. An example, a little meh but makes the point - mmo guilds may not want other guilds seeing their members pop up as new users on their forums. Believe me peeps actually check this stuff :D But this is probably another RFC (if one doesn't exist) already since it's substantially different.