[RFC] Custom Profile Fields on Memberlist

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
naderman
Consultant

[RFC] Custom Profile Fields on Memberlist

Post by naderman »

Custom profile fields can currently be displayed in viewtopic, viewpm and on the user profile. However to display the field on the memberlist we require that users edit all of the templates they use to display it manually. Further there you cannot search in the memberlist by custom profile field.

To make custom profile fields as powerful as regular profile fields, and to lessen the burden on users for effectively using them we should add an option to display the field on memberlist and to allow filtering users by values of the custom profile field.

I have create a separate ticket for each of these, but consider them to be strongly related, so only one RFC.

--
Ticket (Memberlist): http://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-10923
Ticket (Search): http://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-10924

ForumsFaciles

Re: [RFC] Custom Profile Fields on Memberlist

Post by ForumsFaciles »

Hello,

Good idea +1

Greatings ^^

nextgen

Post by nextgen »

I like this view custom fields. :)
*Imagine a signature super spectacular.*

Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

How would this look? The memberlist is already crowded so adding even more fields will only cramp the output even more or you'll have to accept that it won't fit on the screen anymore.
I do agree that the fields should be viewable on the memberlist but I'm -1 on overcrowding the page by forcing them in there. This might require a redesign/rethink of the memberlist to properly facilitate more fields without making the display even worse then it is at the moment.
Available on .com
Support Toolkit developer

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

This would be up to the administrator, who would need to decide which fields to display there.

I do agree that changing the styling of the memberlist would be a good idea, but I think that should just go in a separate RFC. If we keep the current table, it'd be helpful if some of the default columns can be disabled by an administrator to make space for custom ones they consider more important.

Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

naderman wrote:This would be up to the administrator, who would need to decide which fields to display there.
Obviously, but it is IMO a bad thing to add a feature that hardly can be used due to the current styling.
naderman wrote:I do agree that changing the styling of the memberlist would be a good idea, but I think that should just go in a separate RFC.
Yes, that would be a different RFC.
naderman wrote:If we keep the current table, it'd be helpful if some of the default columns can be disabled by an administrator to make space for custom ones they consider more important.
+1 if implemented that way, then it really is up to the administrator to determine how it is displayed.
Available on .com
Support Toolkit developer

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

In regards to styling, how about adding some jQuery magic to hide some data and when you click on a row (think the revisions table in the Customisations Database) it unhides to provide more information?

Anyway, I'm all for displaying more information if, as Erik said, we don't overcrowd the page.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

+1 good idea

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

imkingdavid wrote:In regards to styling, how about adding some jQuery magic to hide some data and when you click on a row (think the revisions table in the Customisations Database) it unhides to provide more information?
Erik Frèrejean wrote:
naderman wrote:I do agree that changing the styling of the memberlist would be a good idea, but I think that should just go in a separate RFC.
Yes, that would be a different RFC.